Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Go Back   Techwarelabs Community > Tech > Operating Systems

Old 03-07-2002, 01:38 PM
matrix

Default to install two os on the same drive partition

hello friend

i want to install win98 and winxp on the same drive of a system .

can any one suggest how to do it.

Old 03-07-2002, 01:50 PM
Chef

Default Re: to install two os on the same drive partition

I STRONGLY suggest to install it on different partitions.

I suppose you can install W98 and XP on the same Fat32 partition with different system system directories for each OS, but hell that's not healthy. Why not to make several partitions ??

Cheers
Chef
Old 03-08-2002, 01:47 PM
Golden Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to wizbones

You can install them on the same partition and really you shouldn't have any trouble.

If I'm not mistaken doesn't XP install to the WINNT Dir.?

Even if it doesn't you could specifiy the windows directory for each during install. Like win98 for one and winnt for the other.

I think you're playing with fire though mixing these two OS's. You'd be better served to dual boot with win98 & win 2000.

In the long run I think you'll run into trouble with the XP software hosing up your win98.

The cleanest way is to have two partitions, totally agree with Chef on that. But hey it could be a great learning experience to mash em both together and see what happens.

I'm curious myself to see how it all turns out. Please do post your results either way you go.
The Maximum Effective Range of an Excuse is Zero point Zero Meters!
Old 03-14-2002, 10:00 PM
coffejor

You could always install XP as your primary OS and install 98 in VMware. I use this philosophy to run XP, 2K, Red Hat, 98, and Mac OS.
Old 03-15-2002, 01:15 PM
Golden Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to wizbones

Coffeejor,

Could you elaborate on VMware and a link would be cool too. Don't be afraid to share  ;D if it's a good deal let us in on it with some details about it and where to get it etc.

Thanks
The Maximum Effective Range of an Excuse is Zero point Zero Meters!
Old 03-15-2002, 07:53 PM
Simo

Wiz: XP installs in the 'Windows' DIR..I just had a peek..
Old 03-16-2002, 05:42 PM
coffejor

VMware is a neat little peice of software that acts as if you are installing something on a totally fresh system. When you want to install a new OS all you have to do is create a new user and install it like you were on a new hard drive. You partition the hard drive within VMware and everything, there are even BIOS settings. You would swear that you are installing the OS on a different machine. One thing, make sure you have a big enough hard drive. I originally installed it on my PC with a 20 GB hard drive and it ate memory like crazy (i.e. 512 wasn't enough to keep it from giving me memory errors), I then upgraded to a 60 GB hard drive and I didn't have any problems what-so-ever. I find it great if you want to test webpages on different OSs (meaning Windows, Unix, and Mac) but it also works great for creating a dual OS system. You can download the free trial version at http://www.vmware.com/download/workstation.html (you have to register to get a evalutation serial number but you can always just out in bogus info.). I hope that this software works for you guys, and let me know what you think.

-Jordan Coffey-

P.S. If need be, I have a key generator made by DAMN. If you want it I will e-mail it to you, I'm curious to see if it works. (Of course only use the key generator if you already own the software, right )
Old 03-17-2002, 02:08 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

ive seen mac os go on pc's but does linux or windows run on mac's? just wondering cuz mac has their thing where they have to be different even if it is worse crap.

and is there any way of changing the directory of windows xp before it is installed? in win2k there is but i didn't see any in xp
Old 03-17-2002, 02:48 PM
Chef

just a note: linux can be installled on Mac
Old 03-17-2002, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

surprising they haven't come up with a fix for that