Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Go Back   Techwarelabs Community > Tech > Operating Systems

Old 08-06-2002, 10:50 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Omega Send a message via AIM to Omega Send a message via MSN to Omega Send a message via Yahoo to Omega
Default A Few Win2k AS and Exchange 2k problems...long topic

I've been setting up a pair of servers. Server A is running Windows 2000 Advanced Server (Service Pack 3) with Microsoft Exchange 2000 Enterprise Server (Service Pack 3). It is the primary domain controller for alwaysbethere.local, and runs DNS, FTP, HTTP, SMTP, POP3, IMAP, Exchange, and a few other miscellaneous things (but not routing or DHCP server, for a few specific exclusions).

Server B is running Windows 2000 Advanced Server (Service Pack 3). I tried to make it a secondary domain controller for alwaysbethere.local, but ran into some problems, so it's acting as a primary domain controller for numbra.com (even though that doesn't point to the server yet). It's also running DNS, FTP, HTTP, but not windows SMTP, no Exchange, no DHCP, and not routing.

Additionally, it's running some server software from nowspeed.com. What this software is supposed to do is act as a gateway of sorts, to an Exchange server. It simply acts as a proxy for desktop clients, but the genious is when WAP or handheld devices work with it. It will convert Microsoft Office documents to text so they're readable on those basic clients, and will then convert them back with any edits when sending them. It also is supposed to be able to alert wireless devices via SMS, or pagers, or any device with an email address (or it could just send to a standard email account) about upcoming appointments, new messages, and other things...

After a lot of dinking around, and reformatting and reinstalling, I got the nowspeed software to function as a basic pop3 and IMAP gateway (for mail at least...when sending mail to administrator@alwaysbethere.local). I can't send mail through it, though. It keeps returning an error that relaying is prohibited on the server. I've gone into the settings on Server A for SMTP, and physically enabled relaying from everyone, for the range of IP addresses that we us, and for Server B and the client computer specifically, but no change. Any ideas on that?

Also, the nowspeed software installs a virtual directory under the default web directory in IIS (root web/nowspeed/). The web interface for the nowspeed software is almost entirely ASP-based, also utilizing a Microsoft Access database stored on Server B. When I load the login page (/nowspeed/default.asp) it loads nearly instantly, like it should over the LAN. When I log in, or browse the interface of the nowspeed configuration or web email browser, it either takes ~30 seconds to load a page, or gives an ASP script timeout error message. The processor usage on Server B and Server A stays below 12% the entire time, and most of this time is at 0%. The servers aren't being accessed by anyone or anything else, so I don't know what'd be causing it. The servers aren't optimized for being application servers, they're optimized for being remote access servers...I just thought of this, and haven't tried it the other way. Is there some reason why it'd be taking that long to execute the scripts, and if so, is there some way to change it?

So, uh, that's all of the problems with the servers that I can think of for now (that I want to get into, at least). Any help would be greatly appreciated.