Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 06-10-2006, 01:21 PM
Techie

Default Deleting Emails in Outlook Express

This morning I was down to about 1Gb of disk space remaining on my 38GB hard drive - so I decided that it was time to get rid of some old emails. I often send people very large files by email, so I knew they'd be taking up a large amount of space.

I managed to locate all the emails I wanted to delete. Slowly but surely I've been dragging them into the 'Deleted Items' folder in Outlook Express.

But here's the bad news.... I right-click on the 'Deleted Items' folder and I click the option to empty it. The usual message appears (Are you sure you want to permanently deete the contens of the 'Deleted Items' folder?). I click 'YES'.... but my available disk space then goes DOWN instead of up. After deleting 1,000 or so emails, I'm now reduced to only 190Mb of disk space. The emails appear to have gone (i.e. they don't show up anywhere within Outlook Express - nor are they sitting in my Recycle Bin). So why don't I get the disk space back???

My 'Sent Items' folder (i.e. the one I was deleting everything from) is still exactly the same size as it was before I started. But in addition, I now seem to have a big file on my drive called 'Deleted Items.dbx' It's 780Mb - and yet the 'Deleted Items' folder is completely empty. Does this make sense to anyone??

Do I need to compact the folders somehow?
Old 06-11-2006, 04:58 PM
Techie

I wish I'd could help'but I've not heard of this. When I delete mails from my outlook it seems to increase diskspace. don't know what to suggest but sounds very odd to me.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:37 PM
Techie

Hopefully someone will answer this, I've never had the problem either, but I could see something like that happening at some point in the future
Old 06-12-2006, 01:13 AM
Techie

Some further info....

I've realised that Norton Utilities is at least partly involved in this. Let's say I delete a big file (900Mb). Initially, Norton put it into a 'protected' area so that it can be recovered later if it was deleted accidentally. This means that the disk size stays the same as it was before, which is fair enough. When I empty my Norton protected files, I get the disk space back.

However, this doesn't seem to hold true for Emails. Let's say I drag 900Mb of Emails from my Inbox into the Deleted Items folder. 'Deleted Items.dbx' increases in size by 900Mb - but 'Inbox.dbx' stays the same size as it was before. Therefore I lose 900Mb of disk space. Emptying the Deleted Items folder at this stage transfers everything to Norton somehow - but it doesn't reduce the size of 'Deleted Items.cbx' Therefore I lose a further 900Mb. I can recover 900Mb now by emptying my Norton protected files. But the problem is that I lost, in total, 1.8Gb - so I'm still 900Mb down!!

Bear in mind that, at this point, my Norton protected folder is empty and the 2 files called 'Inbox.dbx' and 'Deleted Items.dbx' haven't decreased in size. Under Outlook Express's 'File' menu there's an option to compact these folders. If I do compact them, the size of those 2 files reduces dramatically, but - and this is the annoying bit - my available disk space decreases. You might think that the data has all been transferred to Norton but it hasn't. If I right-click on my Recycle Bin, both the Unerase Wizard and the Norton protected files are showing as empty. All that data's been transferred somewhere but I've got no idea where it went!!!
Old 06-12-2006, 01:37 AM
Techie

This morning I've managed to get about 200Mb back by simply removing old System Restore points. However, the net result, after deleting about 1000 Emails and emptying my Recycle Bin and purging my Norton protected files, is that I now have 600Mb less space than I had in the first place!!!
Old 06-12-2006, 08:21 AM
Platinium Techie

Send a message via AIM to Tyler Send a message via MSN to Tyler

Well I'm not sure why that is happening, however I know you can just delete 'Deleted Items.dbx' if you want. Just to be sure though I suggest renaming it to 'Deleted Items.backup' or something just to be sure and see if Outlook creates a new one and everything is still working fine.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:32 AM
Techie

Thanks Tyler - looking back now, I realise that I should have just deleted my 'Deleted Items.dbx' when it was 780Mb. Instead, I compacted it - which brought it down to a reasonable size (less than 200Kb) but it didn't release any disk space (in fact somehow, compacting the folder took up more of my disk space) and I've no idea at all where all those unwanted entries went.... In future, I'll just delete the file 'Deleted Items.dbx' like you suggested.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:57 AM
Junior Techie

In this situation i advise - pst recovery, do something recovering lost Microsoft Outlook data is a sequence of operations involving scanning, identifying and saving such Microsoft Outlook items as messages, contacts, notes, reminders, journals, meetings, etc, restore data when a *.pst file completely or partially stops functioning, for example, it becomes completely or partially unreadable because of other applications, antivirus software or power failures, also scans, identifies and saves data from the pst file without modifying or indexing the source pst file.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:39 PM
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
This morning I was down to about 1Gb of disk space remaining on my 38GB hard drive - so I decided that it was time to get rid of some old emails. I often send people very large files by email, so I knew they'd be taking up a large amount of space.

I managed to locate all the emails I wanted to delete. Slowly but surely I've been dragging them into the 'Deleted Items' folder in Outlook Express.

But here's the bad news.... I right-click on the 'Deleted Items' folder and I click the option to empty it. The usual message appears (Are you sure you want to permanently deete the contens of the 'Deleted Items' folder?). I click 'YES'.... but my available disk space then goes DOWN instead of up. After deleting 1,000 or so emails, I'm now reduced to only 190Mb of disk space. The emails appear to have gone (i.e. they don't show up anywhere within Outlook Express - nor are they sitting in my Recycle Bin). So why don't I get the disk space back???

My 'Sent Items' folder (i.e. the one I was deleting everything from) is still exactly the same size as it was before I started. But in addition, I now seem to have a big file on my drive called 'Deleted Items.dbx' It's 780Mb - and yet the 'Deleted Items' folder is completely empty. Does this make sense to anyone??

Do I need to compact the folders somehow?
For recover deleted or corrupted mails or more than actions advise using-outlook express there was an error opening this message,utility as far as i know has free status,it can resolve data corruption issues for Outlook Express email client,works with one of the most vulnerable elements of information systems,helps and it does not matter, what happened with your mailbox,works with Outlook Express versions 5, 5.5, 6 and all currently supported versions of Microsoft Windows operating system,preview all messages, that can be successfully retrieved from corrupted files with dbx extension,recovery of all emails from your mailbox in dbx format, if these dbx files are seriously corrupted and Outlook Express there was an error opening this message,will save separate files of eml format, that can be accessed by any email program.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:00 AM
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Well I'm not sure why that is happening, however I know you can just delete 'Deleted Items.dbx' if you want. Just to be sure though I suggest renaming it to 'Deleted Items.backup' or something just to be sure and see if Outlook creates a new one and everything is still working fine.
In my life there are a lot of things,but often I have problems with mails and can't to solve it.But once I saw next software-fix outlook express errors,tool helped me very quickly,it is free as far as I know.Moreover program can compatible with Windows 2003, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows 98, Windows Me and all versions of Outlook Express.