Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 10-06-2004, 07:02 PM
spacednow

Default another bios ? DB again

OK everyone says Dual boot has nothing 2 do with bios, but my bios asks which HD to boot from so I don't see why there should be a problem w/this. I've got a OEM XP version coming from a reputable company, can't I install it on disc one and boot w98 from disc 2 when I want 98? I boot 98 from Slave (HD2) now. or will an OEM xp get wacked when I run it (without disabling HD2)??? I dont understand why this doesn't work
Old 10-06-2004, 08:24 PM
Lab Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to Jason425 Send a message via Yahoo to Jason425

you need separate partitions....
Dell Inspiron 1420 in Midnight Blue - Intel Core2Duo T7300 2.0GHZ/4MB - 2GB Ram - Nvidia 8400 GS 128mb - DVD/RW - 160GB 7200RPM - 14.1" Antiglare - Intel 4965AGN - Bluetooth 2.0 - 2MP Webcam - Vista Home Premium
2005 Mazda3i in Strato Blue
http://www.jasondsmith.net

Old 10-06-2004, 09:35 PM
spacednow

There is nothing on the master HD. put it in today as slave, formatted it , changed them around, won't boot except from disc 2-the 1 with 98....................................... partition why? :/
Old 10-06-2004, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

You don't need to change anything in the BIOS at all to control which OS to boot from. Just pick one, preferably, for all convenience purposes, the master. Install Windows 98 first, then install Windows XP. To control boot options, go to System Properties (can be accessed by right clicking My Computer > Properties) then go to the Advanced Tab, then in the Startup and Recovery area go to settings.

The reason why you can't install Windows 98 second is because it will add a new second boot file (which you cannot have) because it cannot read the first, because it is (likely) on an NTFS partition.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:13 PM
spacednow

OK...........will I still have this option with an OEM Version...........or will it want to take 98 out without the option of keeping?
Old 10-06-2004, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

Yes you will still have the option, however if the Windows XP is an Upgrade version you won't be able to start the installation from Windows.

You will need to go into your BIOS and change the boot order so the first boot is the CD drive. Install 98, then when you are done, don't change the boot order back yet. Restart the system with the Windows XP CD in the CD drive. The system will then ask you to press a key if you want to boot from CD so press a key. Once you agree to the terms and conditions you should arrive at a screen that asks you which partition and which drive you want to install to. Just be sure to not install Windows XP to the same partition as Windows 98.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:43 PM
spacednow

Thanks!!!!! That was my worry.........
Old 10-06-2004, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

Please note that you must set the boot order before you install Windows 98 to boot off of the CD first, your master second, and your slave third. Keep the boot order the same until you are completely finished installing both OS's. Then change the boot order to master first, slave second, CD third (so the HD parts of the boot order remain in the same relative order).

...and... Your welcome!