Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 10-08-2004, 08:39 PM
spacednow

Default XP doesnt recognize 98!!!!!!!!!!!!!

only way to get 98 is thru switching Boot HD in bios...........playing with boot.ini in XP but cant get it to quite work... 98 HD is slave w/three partitions, XP has its own Drive, yes 98 is on the 1st partition .............help!!!!! This is what I've changed it to so far and I get a boot ? but when I choose 98 it says not valid or something and I have to choose XP ..........98 works fine if I change the bios but the other would be nice. Suggestion or and ini file from someone would be cool....don't have mail set up yet so I'm going back to 98 to wait 4 notification and do research [boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows 98SE" /fastdect
Old 10-09-2004, 01:23 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

You will have to manually change the 98 line, unfortunately. (I don't understand how this happened, though.)

multi(X) is for IDE (or SATA) port number X. rdisk(X) is for raid drive. The other two you already know. the \WINDOWS part should be whatever the Windows folder is on its root drive (%windir%).
So if you have both the hard drives on the same port, it should look like this:
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows 98SE" /fastdetect

If the hard drives are on different ports, that line should look like this:
multi(1)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows 98SE" /fastdetect

Also, I noticed that /fastdetect is spelled wrong so if that is directly copied from boot.ini, then that might be part of the problem.
For more information about your particular hard drive configuration, right click My Computer > click Manage > Storage > Disk Management.
Old 10-09-2004, 05:04 AM
spacednow

well its late and many probs.........multiple reinstalls...........here is what it ended up being (I should have stuck with the bios disc boot order that worked just as easy)....................
[boot loader]
timeout=20
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
C:\="Microsoft Windows"
Old 10-09-2004, 05:10 AM
spacednow

BTW.........ended up installing it from win98 while running- autorun, then had to have boot from CD disabled..........found that out my 4th time around ..............maybe my puters just weird