Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Go Back   Techwarelabs Community > Tech > Operating Systems

Old 08-13-2004, 09:50 AM
Eradicator

Default Dlink Wireless DHCP problem only at boot

Hello,
I have found the main problem is when the computer reboots, I get an incomplete set of Automatic Private Address instead of an IP# that is supplied by DHCP....I reformatted and reloaded Win XP pro and even changed to another brand wireless network card and nothing changed. I had connectivity at 1st boot, then on reboot I was in the same boat. I also use a cable modem from Terayon that DOES NOT supply static IP's.... the combo of the router and cable modem may cause it ,but all the other wired LAN connections are fine at boot. (only a wireless prob) so it may come back to the DI 614+ Router wireless+10/100 lan.(only the wireless part) I may go get another cable modem and router today and that will eliminate a few other questionable probable causes.

Dlink seems to think its a firewall problem, think I will try to put that computer in the DMZ zone and see if that helps...prob not

I also may roll back the firmware on the router a notch from the latest one offered before I replace it.

any insight?
Old 08-13-2004, 02:06 PM
james

i highly doubt it is a problem with your router per se. Post your configuration data (of your router, wireless AP, and your computer). It is most likely that you have a wireless configuration problem with bridging your wireless and your wired networks, specifically, making sure DHCP is being accepted on the wireless network.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:54 PM
Eradicator

Quote:
Originally Posted by James
i highly doubt it is a problem with your router per se. Post your configuration data (of your router, wireless AP, and your computer). It is most likely that you have a wireless configuration problem with bridging your wireless and your wired networks, specifically, making sure DHCP is being accepted on the wireless network.
Thanks for your help, but I did resolve it all...it was the firmware version on the router that didnt allow DHCP to operate correctly....I installed the latest 3.35 and that was the problem ...I found this out from one of the dlink support people that 2.18 was the best version without problems...that version wasnt offered at the normal support site, we had to download it from their FTP site. Only 3 days out of my life lost LOL...I wish they could have told me on the 1st of the 3 calls i made. Dont let them manual config the card if they try...its all automatic in most cases...no bandaids pls =)
Old 08-13-2004, 07:58 PM
Eradicator

I am fighting bridging the two connections for fear of trouble
I am sure if I do bridge it now it wont hurt and it will toggle the connection and not cost me time applying a working connection if one fails.