Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 08-27-2005, 09:12 AM
Techie

Default Anyone understand Zone Alarm?

I've been using Zone Alarm Pro (the paid-for version) for about 2 years and I can't remember a time when it caused any problems. I have it installed on 2 different partitions - one running XP Home Edition and the other running Win2k. Both have the latest service packs.

For about a month or so, ZA Pro has been consistently interfering with my web browsing (not letting me view certain sites). If I go to the site I either get a blank screen in my browser - or it just sits there for ages saying "loading" but it makes hardly any progress. It's exactly the same under Win2k (IE 5.5) or under Windows XP (IE 6.0). Not many sites are affected - but they do seem to be ones that I use frequently. If I turn off ZA Pro temporarily, all is well again and I can access the sites. For obvious reasons though, I don't want to do any browsing without a firewall...!

I emailed Zone Alarm who gave me various bits of advice about how to configure ZA Pro so that some sites had less security than others. But even with all my security options at their lowest setting, these same sites are always inaccessible.

I said always - but that isn't quite true. Every so often (maybe once every week) the site suddenly springs into life and very, very briefly I'm allowed to see it. However, this is very rare.

I need to find out what exactly ZA Pro is taking an exception to. Can anyone help??
Old 08-27-2005, 01:24 PM
james

never having used zone alarm, and not knowing the site's its blocking, i'm thinking it could be quite a number of things: ad blocking, activex blocking, or parental control
Old 08-27-2005, 02:09 PM
Techie

Thanks James. As far as I know, Zone Alarm doesn't offer parental control but it does offer the options to block session cookies, 1st party cookies, 3rd party cookies, Banner ads, popup ads, animations, scripts (javascript, vbscripts etc), embedded objects (ActiveX etc) and MIME objects. I've disabled all these blocks but it's still no different. However, if I simply shut Zone Alarm down I can immediately access the sites - so ZA must be the culprit.

The thing that puzzles me is why it sometimes allows me to access the sites but not at other times. I guess I could just uninstall it and re-install.
Old 08-28-2005, 12:50 AM
Lab Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to Jason425 Send a message via Yahoo to Jason425

When I had the pay version I had some issues like that at times... the free one is a lot more hassle-free
Dell Inspiron 1420 in Midnight Blue - Intel Core2Duo T7300 2.0GHZ/4MB - 2GB Ram - Nvidia 8400 GS 128mb - DVD/RW - 160GB 7200RPM - 14.1" Antiglare - Intel 4965AGN - Bluetooth 2.0 - 2MP Webcam - Vista Home Premium
2005 Mazda3i in Strato Blue
http://www.jasondsmith.net