Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 10-30-2006, 10:19 PM
Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to dr_hemlock2
Default new case for system build

after much thought i decided to get a new case as i have worked with plastics before especially plexiglas i saw this one and it appealed to me it has everything the case i was going to use but it will be easier for me to modify for my planned build which is on hold due to finances but will be built.
"doc"
any thoughts positive or negative on this idea?
Old 10-31-2006, 07:54 AM
TWL Owner

There are grounding issues with plexiglass cases. I suggest you check into that first before purchasing one of them. Also these kind of cases tend to scratch easily.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:08 AM
Techie

Default grounding issues?

not sure what you mean i mean i use grounded plugs for power supply as well as surge equipment and power backup. tell me more quick
"doc"
Old 10-31-2006, 08:16 AM
TWL Owner

It has to do with the motherboard grounding to the case. I suggest you search on google for this. I have no experience personally with these cases and have only been told about this.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:21 AM
Techie

Default okay

i will do this thanks for bringing this up that is why i am here on the boards
"doc" :/
Old 10-31-2006, 04:43 PM
Techie

Default grounding

after doing some research on different forums the question of grounding problems or concerns has come up before. there were solutions to the problem some were saying that since all component's like hdd, floppies,DVD,fans as well as the motherboard have grounds built in to the power supply once the motherboard is plugged into motherboard and attached to household current the ground of the house electrical system will do its job. others say individually ground each devices mentioned above with a strap to the power supply case which is feasible. i have another question though to put out i was thinking about this today would having a couple of low profile fans behind the motherboard areas like the CPU and MB system chip have any cooling effect and would it matter if it sucks or blows on the back of the board just something i was wondering about. i figure i will still get the case mainly because i can mod it the way i would like with little trouble. i also wanted to mention about getting a cathode ray tube in UV to look for leaks as my brother is a mechanic and says antifreeze glows under UV (black light). There was also some talk about possible EMI interference problems but i read very few people were having this problem. i welcome your comments on this subject everyone.
"doc"
Old 11-01-2006, 09:05 AM
Techie

Default new case solution

well i decided that i need to get this thing built and money is short so i decided against the hdd blocks and case and a few other things and decided that it will be a learning experience to cut the case well to be clear drill the case i will photograph the build from start to finish and document the settings and results over time. i did order two hdd fans with two fans a piece and ordered the digital doc unit has abilities that i want to control and 8 sensors and some other gadgets 1394 hookups and usb 2.0 etc. when these parts come in and i get a tee and a connector from hardware store probably brass 1/4 inch connection for drain. as for the video card i will have to wait and use the one integrated on the board its just like the one i have in this system and since my other monitor gave up the ghost recently i only have one monitor anyway for now. if you would like me to publish the build on the site let me know and i will do it.
James "doc"
Old 11-01-2006, 03:59 PM
Techie

Default duh!

now i realize i can have my cake and eat it to i can with this case replace the cover that i have with a acrylic clear one and still watch the insides am i paranoid or what . will even try and do the other side i like that idea also. i ordered the parts i needed and when they come in i will begin the build. i am still inspired
"doc"
Old 11-12-2006, 10:51 PM
Techie

I have a build going on using the exact same case.

I used:
The $99 3400+ w/mobo deal at newegg. (may be over now)
A old 9800 pro until I get a better card for it.
512mb DDR3200 Cas 2.5 (don't recall the brand, it was old)
A black pioneer 111D DVD+/-RW DL (newegg)
A black Coolermaster musketeer (SVC)
A LIS 2 pro VFD. (ebay) - controls the fans, looks sweet
also available at xoxide, but $105, ouch.
A sunbeam chameleon light kit (9.99 xoxide I think), and twin liquid neon tubes (directron) on a 12v remote kit and a relay switch. (xoxide)
Chrome loom for the power supply wires w/blue replacement molex and slot protectors (directron)
blue sleeving for other wires (directron)
Replaced LED fans with aluminum fans (SVC I think)
Aluminum mesh fan filters (nexfan)
Bio-hazard fan grills (nexfan)

It looks SWEET! The VFD, the fan filters, and the sunbeam chameleon really make the case.

One warning , the case headers were labled incorrectly on the case I received. The wire labled HD LED was actually the power switch wire. I was working on it earlier today, and gave up before I figured the rest out so I could take the kids to the beach.

Also, there's no room to drill the fan holes bigger. I would have preferred 120mm fans.

The area on the left side front beside the front fan is kinda bare, It measures 7x2 inches, I was planning on printing out a picture of the FFXI chick on a transparency and taping it to the inside of that area. Also, I recommend you remove the mobo standoffs and put a printed transparency or applique below the motherboard, it will give you a place to hide wires and hide the ugly backside of the board.

Don't remove the plastic from the plexi until you've finished, and keep the front bay screws, replace them over the drives, they add to the appearance later. Lastly, use a decent black silent power supply.

Overall, it ain't a bad looking case for the price.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:50 PM
Techie

Here's mine, I've just spent a few hours on it so far. My original plan for using a clear PS fell through the cracks, it just didn't look right. So, I swapped it with a black Antec and haven't had time to shorten and loom the wires. I'm going to have to swap out the heatsink for a Artic Silencer 64. The mislabled case headers threw me for a loop, I thought the switch was bad, so I took it off the front to check it.

Anyway, the case looks much better assembled and running than the picture gives it credit for. I'll finish it in another week or two, since I only get a short period of time to work on it during the weekends. Plus, my camera is a $20 piece of junk.

Beware, this case is under heavy construction. Nowhere near completion. I also plan on adding some toggle switches to the unused 3 1/2 bay, meaning I'll have to drill out the plastic. Since I don't have the correct drill bits, I'll be using a sizing guide with a dremel and a engraving attachment for the work.