Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:32 AM
Junior Techie

Default Keyboard issue --2 problems

I have recently disposed of 2 viruses that I aquired on my Pesario sr1807cL desktop.

These were the Zlob downloader and the Smitfraud viruses or variants of them. I used Mcafee, Super spyware remover, and a combination of others to help me remove them. Both with automatic and manually.

At some point my ps/2 keyboard that came with the computer quit. Originally it read code 39 in the device manager, and after clearing the upper and lower filters in the registry of extras (searched for all kbdclass) I rebooted and then the device manager read code 10 --and still does. I have tried to date the driver, uninstall and reinstall etc. The keyboard works before windows boots, but after it will stop working and will cause the mose to freeze as well. In order to type I use the character map.

Thanks for any help

FLetch

I also tried to install a new microsoft comfort 2000 USB keyboard. The device manager shows that it is working properly but it does not work at all. I downloaded the software for it and updated and still nothing.

While trying to remove the virus we had help from friend who has helper in the past via remote assistant. He is good and trustworthy. It should be noted that when he tried to help with the keyboard issues that remote assistant would not work. In talking with him and some others it is felt that it is possible that the virus may still be lurking.

I can't use system restore, due to I had shut it off during virus removas and all restore points were removed. All I have left is to recover the system but don't want to rush into it.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:41 PM
TWL Owner

I suggest you back up the important files to an external HD, understand that you cannot backup program folders. Then re-install. Try using a USB keyboard. I have yet to see a keyboard and mouse (USB) that didnt work without drivers. These devices should be automatic. Check into your bios and see that you have not disabled the PS2 ports, I didn't think you could but it may be possible. Make sure you have legacy devices enabled.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:50 AM
Junior Techie

i'm not biased or anything, but i've been using my microsoft natural keyboard for over 5 years now and not a hitch. it's still ps2, not usb, but it does the job.