Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:51 AM
Techie

Default Building a computer

Im shadowing at a university(shadowing the IT guy) and I'm wondering if anyone had some info that would make me look smart

We are building my computer together after the tour and well ive never built one so anything would be helpful....thanks
Old 01-25-2007, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

Just put stuff in the only place that it fits, and if it fits in more than one place, motherboards now figure it out anyways. I would suggest watching Jason build a server so you can get an idea. Also, take a look at this BIOS guide to get an idea of what that does. If you have a lot of time, go to PC Mechanic's BYOPC guide, it's probably the best around.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:23 PM
Junior Techie

google is the place to look
Old 05-23-2008, 04:35 PM
Junior Techie

Don't try to make it look like you know something you don't. You will look stupid if you show him you don't know what your doing and say you do. Be honest and he will helpo you out, he already is saying he will so don't try to fool him. You may lose the help you have by lying to him.

Use google to learn about building a comp, I did and it is not all that hard.

Main things are getting all the parts in correctly and step back to look at and check all work before turning on power, double check everything so you do it right the first time.

Good luck.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:25 AM
Junior Techie

Building a computer is really not difficult at all. The parts all go in one way. Make sure everything is mounted securely and plug it in. Hopefully all goes well and you don't have any problems that you have to figure out.

I agree with the others when they say don't lie - it will only make you look foolish.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:53 AM
Junior Techie

Ditto. Asking questions isn't a bad thing...asking a question to clarify understanding shows that you are listening and want to know more. Listen well and ask clarifying questions.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:25 AM
Techie

Send a message via AIM to pchangover

Agreed to ask all the questions you can and be genuinely interested in the project. The way I learned how to build computers was when I was younger I started reading review articles and other little articles about pcs until I thought I knew enough so I decided to tear apart my less than a year old gateway computer. I put everything backed together and it worked, man was I relieved! Like vee_ees said, read the BYOPC article, it is full of info on what you need.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:04 AM
Junior Techie

Ya i know how to build up but i think it is hard to explain in one msg and u need so many hardware to make it more faster.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:54 PM
HigHTecHReDNecK
Techie

#1 - If you try to mkae yourself look smart, you'll suceed in making yourself look stupid because you'll talk about something you truely dont understand.

#2- asking questions is the best way to learn along with reading and hands on training, Your IT knows your there to learn so , use him like a talking book and do just that , learn from him.

#3- it takes years and years to understand and actually KNOW waht all the different parts of a PC do and to be able to communicate that to someone else, so dont be afraid of looking "Stupid" , the only truely stupid thing you can do is just follow him around and not ask questions about every little thing he's doing. If he gets annoyed by your constent questioning , then he either doesnt know the answers and is afraid of looking stupid himself, or he's a bad teacher.