Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 05-24-2006, 04:45 PM
Techie

Default FCC Considering Mobile Use on Planes

I think at some point we will have full fledged mobile services on airplanes, which means we can enjoy multi-hour flights as the annoying traveling salesman next to us books his next deal, talks to his old fraternity buddy and calls his mistress and his wife and children in the course of the flight.

I can't wait!

Quote:
THE FCC (Federal Communications Commission) is holding an auction for two licences to allow high-speed telecom services on planes.

According to Fortune magazine, the move is seen as a step towards allowing some form of mobile phone use on board aircraft.

The Federal Aviation Administration has traditionally banned the use of mobiles on aircraft, although it did allow United Airlines to test Wi-Fi in flight last year. The FCC also restricts the use of mobiles phones after takeoff, but is proposing to lift the ban so long as the phones are connecting to an antenna on the plane itself.

It seems that technology has worked a way around the bans on phones. Already while in flight, those who can afford interweb access are already using Skype to make phone calls.

It now seems that along with the terror of babies yowling for 28 hours on a flight to New Zealand, travellers will have to put up with grey suited businessmen shouting into their phones too.
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=31905
Old 05-25-2006, 11:05 AM
Lab Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to Jason425 Send a message via Yahoo to Jason425

Good point... sooner or later they'll have "no phone sections".
Dell Inspiron 1420 in Midnight Blue - Intel Core2Duo T7300 2.0GHZ/4MB - 2GB Ram - Nvidia 8400 GS 128mb - DVD/RW - 160GB 7200RPM - 14.1" Antiglare - Intel 4965AGN - Bluetooth 2.0 - 2MP Webcam - Vista Home Premium
2005 Mazda3i in Strato Blue
http://www.jasondsmith.net

Old 05-25-2006, 11:26 AM
Techie

Well...it was bound to happen, good for the business man who has to make a call every single minutre, bad for the guy next to it.

Something tells me that we're all the second guy
Old 07-16-2006, 04:07 PM
Techie

Man I was SO happy that you could at least have some peace from annoying phone calls and ring tones on a plane.