Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Go Back   Techwarelabs Community > Tech > Networking

Old 11-07-2006, 12:32 PM
Junior Techie

Send a message via AIM to DJ Gravy Send a message via Yahoo to DJ Gravy
Default No Internet and problems with cmd..

So, I have a sales guy who is going through the router that we sent him, I configured it my self. He can get online through the router with his desktop, but not his IBM T43.. I had him do an IP config, and he gets the

an internal error occurred, a device attached to the system is not functioning

when doing an IP Config.. When the user goes to his dads house aprox 10 mins north of him, he can get on fine.. as well as at a panera bread.. no problems..

So, why is it that he only has problems at his house??
Old 11-07-2006, 04:32 PM
Junior Techie

Also had him check to make sure drivers were up to date, had him go strait into the modum via network cable, as well as the router via network cable. same issue.

Had him run symantic anti virus as well.. no virus or spyware found.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:10 PM
TWL Owner

Im assuming he is attaching wired to your router and wireless to his dad's and panera's of course. I suggest you have him either enable his Wired LAN card or disable the wireless when connecting wired. Also have him disable the useless WIN XP firewall. If that doesnt work then make sure his LAN card has does not have a pre-configured IP and subnet put into it.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:40 PM
Junior Techie

Actually, hes trying to run wireless... I had him run wired both to the router and the modum.. same problem.

I had him run antivirus and spyware, and make sure his MS updates are to date... same problem. I can't remote to him since he cannot sign into the VPN.

I just can't figure out why he has problems when he's at home.. but his desktop works fine.. I ended up saying screw it, I have the ability to duplicate his conditions at home.. he sent me his router and laptop, and we have an outside verizon DSL line coming into the building..

The only difference between his house and his dads, he has Verizon DSL, and his dad has cable.

I asked him if he had contacted Vzw yet, he told me now.. but would... Ill post any more updates I can, but it looks like he's going to send his laptop into me.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:16 PM
TWL Owner

Is the laptop a clean install? I would check his preconfigured or entries into his wireless config. If he has the name entered but the key wrong or the key correct SSID correct but the connection is set to the wrong encryption type. I.E. Wep instead of WPA or tkiP instead of AES then he will run into problems similar.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:38 PM
Junior Techie

We use silent broadcast of SSID here.. no WEP configuration. And I know for SURE it is picking up the SSID.. Its spelled a specific way, and I built his laptop so I know it is configured correctly. As far as a clean install, I don't know. God only knows he's probaly running iTunes, Winamp, AIM etc etc... a desktop support nitemare (Actually found a user running KAZAA the other day ), even though im not one to talk.. (( looks at iTunes running Mp3s off of a shared drive ))..

Its just annoying.. Im about to say screw it all and hook him up with a Verizon aircard and be done with it.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:58 PM
Junior Techie

So,

I threw the white flag up, and pop'd the windows xp sp2 cd in... decided to reimage it... we can call this one on the ghost in the machine.... :/
Old 11-10-2006, 01:01 PM
TWL Owner

sometimes you have to do that.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:12 PM
Techie

Personally, I would have tried rebuilding the IP stack.