Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Go Back   Techwarelabs Community > Tech > Operating Systems

Old 01-14-2005, 06:54 PM
Chronique Technique
Lab Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to Prometheus

I told you to try uninstalling the updates.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:09 PM
Asha

Hey, you didn't read my response - I've tried to uninstall them - it is not working.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:12 PM
Chronique Technique
Lab Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to Prometheus

Windows is strange with that. You may just need to format sorry its the sad truth about windows. You can solve all your problems by deleting them. Prior to that though.

Download the Knoppix LIVE disc. Its a linux boot disc that allows you to save your files from the partion and back them up and burn them to a disc or something.

Sorry to be the harbringer of bad news.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:16 PM
partofme1337

yeah see if you can back the stuff you need up then wipe and reinstall
Old 01-15-2005, 03:03 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

Windows restarts in case of any stop (ie. Windows stops responding, or a [corrupt] file causes a critical system error). Some file is likely corrupt in the files required to boot, causing it to restart.

To find this file, hold F8 down just before Windows starts booting and continue holding it until advanced boot options show. Select Safe Mode with command prompt. Watch and see how far it gets before it restarts, if it restarts. Let us know the results. Also try replacing the ntdetect and NT Loader files, as shown here.

First thing I would do is to disable all performance functions in the BIOS, especially those related to RAM. Also, specifically try having the memory hole enabled as well as disabled. Windows locks up or reboots if that specific memory address range cannot be overwritten. Some systems will only work with it enabled, others only with it disabled.

The next thing to try would be to press and hold F8 as Windows starts to load to get the boot options. Go to Last Known Good Configuration.

If those don't work, try to use System Restore. To do this, you'll have to go to the boot options again by holding F8 as Windows begins to boot. This time, select Safe Mode with command prompt. Run %windir%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe with %windir% being your Windows directory.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:35 AM
Asha

Thanks, I'll try that. I went ahead and purchased another hard drive, just got up with that one. I can always use the other for extra storage after I get it back up and retrieve my data.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:08 PM
Techie

Have you tried all this? I'm juts wondering how are you doing as a friend has a similar problem going on and is not really getting any closer to a solution it seems