Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 01-05-2003, 04:44 AM
chryzair

What if you are going into a system that is set up for such a task. Or you are employed to do such a thing (legally). It is still referred to as hacking. You don't have to breach privacy or be malicious when doing such a task.. you may wish to just test yourself or pass challenges set by other organisations that have these available.
Old 01-05-2003, 07:20 PM

chryzair, you do have a point there. Some ppl, although I don't know why, hack their own systems to find more information on their compatibility with other programs. Many gov't agencies use hacking to their advantage and it helps they in their mission of capturing suspects. However, the general word, "hack" is more commonly known to people to be malicious and illegal. Many ppl know that it is common, therefore don't take action, like piracy. But just becuase it is passed by, doesn't mean its ok...I'd have to say that I'm on both sides of this argument here.
Old 01-05-2003, 10:03 PM
chryzair

MIK3... I don't try to say there aren't people that use it for bad things. But everything can be used for bad or good. Killing is wrong yet there is a death sentence...It's how it's utilised in the eyes of the public. If a person was to "hack" into a system to find it's weaknesses and then inform the company of such a thing I would not see this as malicious. And I do know a couple of people that do such things (not that any will damn well mentor me, hehe ) But it is not all bad. Otherwise there wouldn't be things called black and white hat hackers. There is such thing as ethical hacking. The word "hack" has 2 meanings regarding computer systems and it's not to do with just how the media has produced the term.

1. Informal. To alter (a computer program): hacked her text editor to read HTML
2. To gain access to (a computer file or network) illegally or without authorization: hacked the firm's personnel database.

People need to look more into what they are talking about before hitting a topic they find to be illegal. It is how it is used that is illegal. Not the skills that are illegal. The skills are something to be learnt. And how else do people stop people against using this skills wrongly is to know those particular set of skills so they can find a way to defend against them.

"Hold your friends close, but hold your enemies closer"

I'm sure there's a more suitable quote but best one I could think of.
Old 01-05-2003, 10:30 PM
xMerCLorDx

Quote:
Some ppl, although I don't know why, hack their own systems to find more information on their compatibility with other programs.
that was a really smart statement, you just say you dont know why and then attempt to explain it.

Quote:
However, the general word, "hack" is more commonly known to people to be malicious and illegal.
yeah to people who don't know jack shit about computers.

in the IT industry ask anyone with any security experience to tell u about whitehat or blackhat hackers.

*yawn* zZz time
Old 01-05-2003, 10:33 PM

(Ignoring xMerCLorDx's uncalled for statments, and refering to chryzair's post...)
This is true, and that is why I commented that gov't agencies use this method as a means of protecting and securing certain companies and schemes. All I'm saying is that when the common person hears the word "hack", the first think that comes to mind is, " an often illegal approach to infiltrating companies, sites, domains, ect, in a malicious manner, with the use of looking at html or source code." I for one, am not an anti-hacker...because I realize the ability it has, to do as much good as it can bad. And like you said, hacking itself isnt necessarily illegal, its the manner approached using the utilities that is thought of as illegal, and that is often scewed.
Old 01-05-2003, 10:59 PM
chryzair

Default Agreed

I very much agree.
Old 01-06-2003, 10:07 AM
xMerCLorDx

ok did you read this entire thread? do you understand where the debate against the illegality of hackers came about?

heres where it started:

Quote:
eviltechie:
why shouldnt we be down on people who are committing crimes?

me:
since when is hacking automatically malicious ?
this fellow is apparently trying to learn about network security. I don't consider him as someone who is trying to commit computer crimes.
all my argument is that the majority of people say hackers are malicious when they don't know the entire story. Also i was defending the guy who obviously wanted to learn something about network security.

You don't even know what the point was if you're ignoring that.

But I do see what you are saying and I agree
Old 01-06-2003, 04:37 PM
CiKoTiC

If I'm not mistaken, the community has split into two different distinctions. Hackers and crackers.

Hackers are the ones that do malicious stuff and crackers are white honkys... err wait, crackers do for the good of everyone.
Old 01-06-2003, 08:53 PM
xMerCLorDx

naw dude there are white hat hackers, there are code hackers too, i know a guy who writes C++ and cracks BSD all day, its not illegal.. open source

anyway there are bad of both types.. just depends on who u talk to or associate with, or who u are victum to (if its malicious).
Old 01-26-2003, 05:56 PM

Hrm...this kinda of looks like Smilie ...I tried to make out the story this guest tried to tell...but it's just not happening.
Closed Thread