Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Go Back   Techwarelabs Community > Tech > Security, Privacy, & Spyware

Old 05-14-2004, 05:11 PM
nomio

Default Can someone explain hacking to me?

Sorry to sound stupid but I have a problem that I think one of you guys might be able to help me with.

I am/was a member of an MSN group which mysteriously disappeared a couple of days ago. Now I am fairly sure that the manager just deleted it but he has decided to bluff his way out and claim a hacker did it.

Alledgely, someone hacked into his and his wife's MSN account and deleted them both. Now I've no doubt that this is possible. I don't want to know how thank you, BUT he would have us believe that one of the other members has done it.

I don't wish to be rude about me or my fellow board members but it's a site for Stay at home mums and their babies. Quite frankly I've only just learnt how to turn my computer on and most of the other members are the same.

He has informed us that anyone can hack, you only need to search on google and you'll be told how to do it. I find it hard to imagine MSN have such poor security.

Can anyone help either by telling me he's right (I'm prepared to be prooved wrong) or better still nailing the pillock.

Thanking you in advance
Old 05-14-2004, 05:53 PM
Lab Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to Jason425 Send a message via Yahoo to Jason425

It's possible, but if it's a site about moms and babies, I doubt someone would want to hack into it and delete it.. Also, if it was hacked, I would think that he/she would be trying to get it back with help from MSN.. But i'm not too experienced in this arena...
Dell Inspiron 1420 in Midnight Blue - Intel Core2Duo T7300 2.0GHZ/4MB - 2GB Ram - Nvidia 8400 GS 128mb - DVD/RW - 160GB 7200RPM - 14.1" Antiglare - Intel 4965AGN - Bluetooth 2.0 - 2MP Webcam - Vista Home Premium
2005 Mazda3i in Strato Blue
http://www.jasondsmith.net

Old 05-14-2004, 11:21 PM
Chronique Technique
Lab Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to Prometheus

I consierably doubt he was hacked.......I doubt many people would take on M$ with the risk of prision.....
Old 06-08-2004, 07:27 AM
Platinium Techie

M$ uses like 1MB data encryption and stuff like that to.. thatd be harder to hack than the biggest military server... talk about leet h4x0rs
Old 06-08-2004, 11:04 AM
Chronique Technique
Lab Master Techie

Military guaranteed has at least a gig of encryption.....they have technology that wont be on the market for years
Old 06-09-2004, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

Yeah, no joke. But MSN has very good security, too. People who have those kind of skills are not going to take the risk just to pull some user group off for a few days, they are going to do it for a cash prize.
Old 06-09-2004, 03:27 PM
Platinium Techie

i dunno.. alot of people would do it just to screw over M$
Old 06-19-2004, 03:38 PM
Cannon

i doubt it was hack someone isnt going t try to hack that for two reasons .
1.) To fking hard

2.) No bragging right to come with it

hackers love to have bragging right

just a couple of ideas
Old 01-14-2005, 10:57 AM
_C0D3CR4ZY_

lol you would be surprised. I can tell you he wasnt hacked, the criteria just doesnt fit, as stated in the previous post those are essentially the motives for a good h4ck. But let us not forgot it doesnt always take seriously L33T skills to compromise a system. One vulnerability discovered by the right person at the right time can leed to full system compromise. A h4cker with the ability to bypass system security such as that ,,,,MOST DEF wouldnt be wasting time or taking the risk of h4cking a few guest user accounts. he would be goin for admin root.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:00 PM
Chronique Technique
Lab Master Techie

8 months later with an incorrect response...(partly)

you need some good skills you need to learn how to scan for a computer
scan for a os
scan for a open port
scan for a exploitable vulnerability......

Even I dont know how to do it. I can do the open port and the IP of a server but the rest is hard....