Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 03-05-2002, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Keefe Send a message via AIM to Keefe Send a message via MSN to Keefe Send a message via Yahoo to Keefe
Default Re: Windows Xp.... :(

Those chose the NT kernal for its stability...

I would have to admit that windows 2k is a very beautiful operating system.  I ran it before xp with minimal problems and crashes.  I think that is what i am going to switch back to once i get everything backed up.

later...
Old 03-06-2002, 09:08 PM
belveder

I agree, XP is all talk but when it comes down to it that's all it is.  I have had it installed for a while and it was lovely for a while but then the same problems started happening, more and more errors, now it even crashes occassionally.  Another thing I noticed is that it doesn't shut some programs down completley.
We call XP :Big Brother Bloatware
Old 03-06-2002, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

I was going to install XP Home tommorow and get rid of win2k. sounds like a bad idea from what you all are saying...is it really so bad or just people with good experiences just aren't posting?
so should I install it? ???
Old 03-07-2002, 12:03 PM
mlhlmh

I do agree that 98 SE is a reliable OS. I now have W2K on my daughter's machine and have recently loaded XP Home on my own. I've never had any problems with W2K and don't know why I went for XP except that I got the full version for $100 c(less than I payed for W2K which was $150).

I haven't had a chance to play with XP much as I can't get the VIA master bus IDE drivers to load. They won't load off the CD and the ones from Biostar's website (I'm using a M7VIB) won't load either. XP says it can't find the darn things, anybody have any ideas?
Old 03-07-2002, 12:25 PM
Chef

Sounds odd  
Installing XP instead of W2K ??? For what reasons exactly ?
If you want to try everything, OK, I'm agree with that (to pay for it ? ho ho ho
For my personal opinion it wouldn't worst my time ...

But why not to simply install it on another partition ?

Cheers
Chef
Old 03-07-2002, 12:40 PM
mlhlmh

I upgraded my daughter's machine from 98 to W2k and switched my own from (can't say upgraded yet) from W2K to XP Home. As far as paying for it, the price was cheap enough and I prefer to use licensed software.

So again, does anybody have any ideas on the IDE driver problem I spoke of in my last post?
Old 03-07-2002, 12:56 PM
Chef

That's the reason number one NOT to jump to new shiny OS !

To get drivers for WinME from the beginning was a nightmare (ATI cards not supported, Voodoo drivers crashed, USR modems and so on ...).
I'm pretty sure it's going to be the same way with XP, cause programming drivers is pretty expensive, so some HW manufacturers will NOT have drivers for WinXP for long time.

Now about your problem mlhlmh ...
What's for you need VIA master bus IDE drivers, if it works without it ?
As for W98 you don't need it (I don't know bout XP, but my guess it's all the same). More than that, if you'll install the wrong thing, serious skills would be required to remove it.
Enjoy what you've got

Good luck
Chef

P.S. I prefer to use licensed software too, but what can you do  

Old 03-08-2002, 08:37 PM
Aoshi

the best thing that you could have is a dual boot system consisting of win98se and win2k.  if anyone has done it before they know its easy to setup and that way you have the best of both. the 98 for gmaes and win2k for jsut about everythign else.
Old 03-08-2002, 11:21 PM
jinx

mlh,
You may could benefit by running the Win XP compatibility test, go to the MS Windows XP site and download it, other software sites had it up for awhile, an abbreviated ver, can't remember if it was ZDnet, tucows or what.
MS sure did push that test to all who wished to install XP. As noted above, lots of vendors have not debuted any XP drivers, and some may not, as they are under no obligation to do so.
Old 03-09-2002, 05:38 PM
mlhlmh

Thanks Jinx,

The Biostar M7VIB is on the XP compatability list, it has recieved the logo certification.