Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 07-17-2004, 02:05 PM
latr3ll

Default Ipconfig Fails - Solution

I had this issue doing an inplace upgrade from W2K to XP.

My Resolution:
I uninstalled TCPI/IP protocol, Client for MS networks, and F&P sharing service from the NIC. Rebooted. Go back to Network connections, you should have no services, clients or protocols installed (or "bound" to the adapter). Click install to reinstall the necessary protocol, client and services. Add TCP/IP, Client for MS networks, and F&P sharing service. Immediately after doing this my NIC was active and it received a DHCP assigned IP address. Problem solved.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:39 AM
Eradicator

Default Re: Ipconfig fails in XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1968
Ipconfig says internal error, request not supported, unable to query routing information.

I already reset tcp/ip with netsh

Thanks for any ideas!
HI, Did you ever get this resolved? (wireless card)
Had you upgraded the router firmware or driver before this happened?
That's what happen to me! and then it blew out my LAN net connection. I had to roll it back 3 days because MS and Dlink couldnt fix it. Every time I reinsert the wireless card, it happens again! Time to find the magic combo of firmware and drivers ;( or maybe take a trip to Costco and get a Diff make setup.

NO virus detected!
Old 09-06-2004, 10:05 AM
WSO

Default Renew IP Address Success Story for Wireless Network on XP

1st want to thank the many posts that help lead me to full success. It was a combo of events listed below. Needed all steps. Good news is I did NOT need to reinstall XP or use WINSOCKFIX utility.

System
Win XP Home Edition.
Home Wireless Network 801.11b
Installed Adware6 to attempt to eradicate Spyware
Norton AntiVirus Installed
Peer to Peer Network. Using One PC as "server" which connects directly internet and provides access to internet for client PC's (ie. not access point or router)

Symptoms. XP Client PC's on Wireless Network running very slow. Finally will no longer connect to wireless network. IP address on my "server" PC is 192. ... but IP address on clients is 169. .... Can't ping server. However, I knew WI-FI hardware is working because still have WI-FI connectivity to client PC's on network running Win98SE.

Steps

Virus Check

1. Run Norton AntiVirus - No viruses found

Adware/Spyware Eradication

2. Start->Control Panel>Remove Software. Viewed all programs and using Google Search as a reference removed all programs that were spyware/adware
3. Used Tasked Manager (cntrl-alt-del) and MSCONFIG (using Start-Run-CMD line) to view startup and process see all adware/spyware. Again used google to discern which programs/processes were adware/spyware.

4. Adware Spyware still running included TV Media and Winupdtr. Deselected these programs from MSCONFIG startup. Deleted files in C:\program Files\ and deleted keys from registry using regedit per postings above... but did not permanently eradicate TV Media

5. Manually removed TV Media registry keys using instructions at www.kephyr.com and/or posting above. But also must immediately do step 6 below.

6. Utilized posting that said TV Media was linked with Explorer. Must "Kill" Explorer Process in task manager, Killed Explorer, then used cntl-alt-delete to bring up Task Mgr again. Start CMD line from Task Manager and used CMD line to navigate to c:\Program Files\TV media files. And then delete using delete c:\Program Files\TV Media\*.*

Note to reboot I had to specify which mode to restart in while in MSConfig window. (For some reason my PC would not startup in SAFE mode by tapping F8 during reboot.) 1st selected Diagnostic Startup mode. (Could also go to WIN.BOOT tab to start in SAFE mode.

7. Used MS article "How to Determine and recover from Winsock2 corruption" found at support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811259 (I did have some corruption).

8. Opened Network Connections window. Right mouse click on Wireless Connections to open properties. Uninstalled Client for Windows, File and Printer Sharing, and deselected TCP/IP items. (Note: there is a posting to manually deinstall TCP/IP. I didn't do it).

9. Reboot.

10. Opened Network Connections. Right mouse click on Wireless Connections to open properties. Install Client for Windows, File and Printer Sharing, and TCP/IP items. Select Wireless tab. Selected Properites and Advanced tab for preferred network and ensure all settings were correct in accordance with postings above (I use WEP enabled)

11. Rerun "Setup a Home or Small Office Network" on client

Still had 169... IP address on client PC. The final solution not found above was Drumroll please......

12. Rerun "Setup a Home or Small Office Network" on my Server PC. IP address on Server changed from 192.68.0.1 to 192.168.0.1 and full connectivity was restore between all PC's on network and with the adware gone PC's are fast.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:10 AM
WSO

Default Renew IP Address Success Story for Wireless Network on XP

1st want to thank the many posts that help lead me to full success. It was a combo of events listed below. Needed all steps. Good news is I did NOT need to reinstall XP or use WINSOCKFIX utility.

System
Win XP Home Edition.
Home Wireless Network 801.11b
Installed Adware6 to attempt to eradicate Spyware
Norton AntiVirus Installed
Peer to Peer Network. Using One PC as "server" which connects directly internet and provides access to internet for client PC's (ie. not access point or router)

Symptoms. XP Client PC's on Wireless Network running very slow. Finally will no longer connect to wireless network. IP address on my "server" PC is 192. ... but IP address on clients is 169. .... Can't ping server. However, I knew WI-FI hardware is working because still have WI-FI connectivity to client PC's on network running Win98SE.

Steps

Virus Check

1. Run Norton AntiVirus - No viruses found

Adware/Spyware Eradication

2. Start->Control Panel>Remove Software. Viewed all programs and using Google Search as a reference removed all programs that were spyware/adware
3. Used Tasked Manager (cntrl-alt-del) and MSCONFIG (using Start-Run-CMD line) to view startup and process see all adware/spyware. Again used google to discern which programs/processes were adware/spyware.

4. Adware Spyware still running included TV Media and Winupdtr. Deselected these programs from MSCONFIG startup. Deleted files in C:\program Files\ and deleted keys from registry using regedit per postings above... but did not permanently eradicate TV Media

5. Manually removed TV Media registry keys using instructions at www.kephyr.com and/or posting above. But also must immediately do step 6 below.

6. Utilized posting that said TV Media was linked with Explorer. Must "Kill" Explorer Process in task manager, Killed Explorer, then used cntl-alt-delete to bring up Task Mgr again. Start CMD line from Task Manager and used CMD line to navigate to c:\Program Files\TV media files. And then delete using delete c:\Program Files\TV Media\*.*

Note to reboot I had to specify which mode to restart in while in MSConfig window. (For some reason my PC would not startup in SAFE mode by tapping F8 during reboot.) 1st selected Diagnostic Startup mode. (Could also go to WIN.BOOT tab to start in SAFE mode.

7. Used MS article "How to Determine and recover from Winsock2 corruption" found at support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811259 (I did have some corruption).

8. Opened Network Connections window. Right mouse click on Wireless Connections to open properties. Uninstalled Client for Windows, File and Printer Sharing, and deselected TCP/IP items. (Note: there is a posting to manually deinstall TCP/IP. I didn't do it).

9. Reboot.

10. Opened Network Connections. Right mouse click on Wireless Connections to open properties. Install Client for Windows, File and Printer Sharing, and TCP/IP items. Select Wireless tab. Selected Properites and Advanced tab for preferred network and ensure all settings were correct in accordance with postings above (I use WEP enabled)

11. Rerun "Setup a Home or Small Office Network" on client

Still had 169... IP address on client PC. The final solution not found above was Drumroll please......

12. Rerun "Setup a Home or Small Office Network" on my Server PC. IP address on Server changed from 192.68.0.1 to 192.168.0.1 and full connectivity was restore between all PC's on network and with the adware gone PC's are fast.
Old 12-25-2004, 03:36 PM
simulaire

Default NAV uninstall fix for dhcp problems

Thanks to tronz for posting (8/9/03) the correct fix for my NAV uninstall problems.

After uninstalling NAV 2003 on two WinXP machines, they would not acquire local ips from my LAN. Deleting the SYMTDI registry references worked like a charm.

On the first uninstall, I wasn't aware of this known problem and hadn't downloaded Symantec's special tool for complete removal. tronz's fix worked immediately (well, after an hour or so of searching around to find it). For the second uninstall, I ran Symantec's RNAV2003.exe tool (after following their directions to first try Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs)...and the same problem persisted !!!! tronz's fix to the rescue, again.

As a long-time Norton fan, I am disappointed at the direction Symantec has taken the software in the last several years. My uninstall debacle confirmed the wisdom of my recent switch to a different solution. How can a consumer trust a security company that, even when specifically writing code to do so, can't provide an effective uninstall program? My experience suggests that Symantec are either:

1) incompetent at coding or managing their software projects
2) don't care sufficiently about the end user (perhaps the corporate experience is different)
3) intentionally make it difficult to migrate to other products.

I encourage users to investigate other antivirus solutions...but I wouldn't be surprised if many on the bb reached that conclusion a long time ago.
Old 12-25-2004, 04:05 PM
Lab Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to Jason425 Send a message via Yahoo to Jason425

yea I quit symantec... it's a hog
Dell Inspiron 1420 in Midnight Blue - Intel Core2Duo T7300 2.0GHZ/4MB - 2GB Ram - Nvidia 8400 GS 128mb - DVD/RW - 160GB 7200RPM - 14.1" Antiglare - Intel 4965AGN - Bluetooth 2.0 - 2MP Webcam - Vista Home Premium
2005 Mazda3i in Strato Blue
http://www.jasondsmith.net

Old 12-25-2004, 09:03 PM
CiKoTiC

Not the Corp. Edition.
Old 12-25-2004, 10:32 PM
Lab Master Techie

but the corp edition is ugly!
Dell Inspiron 1420 in Midnight Blue - Intel Core2Duo T7300 2.0GHZ/4MB - 2GB Ram - Nvidia 8400 GS 128mb - DVD/RW - 160GB 7200RPM - 14.1" Antiglare - Intel 4965AGN - Bluetooth 2.0 - 2MP Webcam - Vista Home Premium

Old 12-25-2004, 11:19 PM
CiKoTiC

If your meaning of ugly means it don't have pop-ups when you boot and fancy config windows then your right. That's why I like it. It does it's job without all the annoying stuff. The only time I want to see a pop-up from it is when it catches something. And that's exactly what it does.
Old 12-25-2004, 11:58 PM
Lab Master Techie

AVG isn't as ugly! (as ugly I mean grey and nasty).. even though you can prob change it.. I'm just looking for excuses here!