Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 07-10-2001, 03:20 AM
Hulaboy

Default NTFS question

Okay, I have a question regarding the NTFS file system.  I just got my hands on Windows XP RC1 and so I'd like to see what the hoopla is that M$ is clamoring about.  I would like to use NTFS as the file system when I format the drive.  However, I'd like to return it to FAT32 once I'm done reviewing RC1.  So, my question is if it is just as easy as running fdisk on the drive and deleting the primary partition (NTFS) and reformatting the new partition using FAT32?  Or am I going to run into a ton of trouble from trying to convert the drive back to FAT32 from NTFS?
Old 07-10-2001, 04:21 AM
kfan

Default Re: NTFS question

Here is an item from Microsoft about NTFS.  It is about NT but it may apply to XP as well.  Remove NTFS
I'm running XP on one of my systems and it seems pretty stable so far. I kind of like the way it looks too.
Old 07-10-2001, 01:11 PM
Hulaboy

Yeah, I like the new cosmetics on it.  It makes it look a lot sleeker.  I'm also interested to see what else they made changes on.  Thanks for the help kfan!
Old 08-23-2001, 11:41 AM
daluu

where can I get a copy of Windows XP RC1?
Old 08-25-2001, 12:46 AM
Hulaboy

They have already released a couple more version pass RC1 now.  Actually, they just released RTM and Microsoft hosted this big party in celebration of today.  In any case, let me know if you still want to gain access to RC1.
Old 08-25-2001, 01:11 PM
SinnopS

RC1 is kinda old..sorta...

the OS has gone gold and has been shiped out to the OEMs
expect too see it all over hte net in the next few weeks
Old 08-26-2001, 06:33 PM
Hulaboy

My sentiments exactly SinnopS!  
Old 09-26-2001, 08:41 AM
VDPloeg

Windows XP is using NTFS 5.1, a minor upgrade from  NTFS 5.0 that shipped with Windows 2000.  The easiest way to switch between NTFS and FAT32 is to use Partition Magic.  It will do the deed without losing data.  Keep in mind your hard drive has to be "basic", as set in Computer Management.  As well make sure you're not using disk ratios or encryption.