Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 05-28-2006, 04:25 PM
Techie

Default Apple not fixing iPods?

I just read an article that said Apple will not fix iPods out of warranty. So if your iPod breaks after the first year, your only recourse will be to buy a new one.

Supposedly Apple has gone as far to tell people that iPods are intended to die after a year. This all sounds a little fishy to me, so can anyone confirm or refute this? I understand not providing a repair service for free out of warranty, but offering no avenue to repair the devices, that is strange.
Old 05-28-2006, 04:30 PM
Techie

Seems like I should raise my reading comprehension and not read bad articles either.

The Source: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32004

Is a very confusing article. You read on and see they do have an out-of-warranty repair service. Apparently the author was upset because they did not have a warranty longer than 1 year. That is pretty standard on electronic devices, so I am not sure WHY they wrote the article.

My apoligies for sharing it here.
Old 05-28-2006, 04:38 PM
Lab Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to Jason425 Send a message via Yahoo to Jason425

Silly inquirer.net...

I hope mine doesn't have the battery issues the old ones did.
Dell Inspiron 1420 in Midnight Blue - Intel Core2Duo T7300 2.0GHZ/4MB - 2GB Ram - Nvidia 8400 GS 128mb - DVD/RW - 160GB 7200RPM - 14.1" Antiglare - Intel 4965AGN - Bluetooth 2.0 - 2MP Webcam - Vista Home Premium
2005 Mazda3i in Strato Blue
http://www.jasondsmith.net

Old 05-28-2006, 06:23 PM
Techie

meh. you acared me for a minute when I read the first post.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:48 PM
Techie

Scared me too for a minute. You would think in this day and age, of electronics not being built to last a long time, that one would purchase a waranty for a few extra years. I never used to buy them, but after losing several hundred decided the cost was well worth it.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:51 AM
Techie

It is indeed worth it to buy extra warranty on your products especially if they cost over $100. I've always been lucky but you just never know
Old 06-04-2008, 12:53 PM
Junior Techie

i sold warranty for a retailer for a long time, and i have to say in honesty its almost never worth it, except on daily use portable devices.

i recomend the extended warranty if you can afford it and arnt morally opposed to buying it (which some people are)
Old 06-05-2008, 08:24 AM
Junior Techie

you will never find warranty that outlasts the battery of your device. to explain, your warranty will run out before your battery does. warranties give you peace of mind, but it really is useless with small, relatively cheap devices like mp3 players
Old 06-09-2008, 06:56 AM
Junior Techie

These warranties have had the odds researched the nnnth degree, I trust all the companies to do a good job of this. That is why I would never buy one.

The odds are that you will pay them more than you get back. Sure, sometimes you win, but the odds are against it.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Portable electronics are compact, complicated devices that get subjected to ridiculous amounts of stress, shock and abuse on a daily basis starting when they leave the factory and float across the ocean.

Whether it's a car, a garbage disposal, a suitcase or a consumer electronic device, a reasonable individual cannot expect a product to last forever. Companies offer warranties on products to cover manufacturer defects and premature failure so that users are guaranteed to get their money's worth for a period of time that is chosen, by the manufacturer, after exhaustive consumer research to determine what will be acceptable to the consumer. Many companies offer extended warranties with a calcuated risk and the odds are in the house's favor... it's a gamble for the consumer but ultimately, it's the consumer's choice.

With RAPIDLY changing technology, it is ridiculous to expect any manufacturer, whether it be car makers or computer companies, to support products after their warranty period, especially when a Google search results in at least a half a dozen reputable third party repair options for the educated consumer. I see no problem with removing support for an out of warranty product as it would be prohibitively expensive and logistically impossible for the manufacturer to stock, inventory and manage the hundreds, if not thousands of components needed to repair EVERY out of warranty product.