Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 11-29-2001, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Keefe Send a message via AIM to Keefe Send a message via MSN to Keefe Send a message via Yahoo to Keefe
Default AOpen HX08 Case

I am looking into getting a new case for a new computer that i am building.  I do not want to spend over 75 dollars on a case.  How much does the AOpen HX08 case cost?  What other cases do you recommend?

Thanks

Keefe
Old 11-30-2001, 12:28 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Omega Send a message via AIM to Omega Send a message via MSN to Omega Send a message via Yahoo to Omega
Default Re: AOpen HX08 Case

Sorry, but that case is going to be about $85 and up, not to mention about $20 s/h that you're bound to pay for almost any case.

When looking for a case, what are your main concerns?  Moddability?  Airflow/cooling?  Appearance?  The Fong Kai cases are pretty cool looking, and I believe they have a duct cooling system for the processor as well, but I'm not sure on prices for that.
Old 11-30-2001, 01:19 AM
VoidedWarranty

Don't get me wrong the HX08 and HQ08 cases are nice but have there flaws.  As described here by John (He sent in this email - I agree with some an dother disagree)

*) The power supply should be positioned at the very top of the case by default in expel the hot air from the top of the case (or they should include the fans at the top of the case as standard equipment)
*) The feet on the case are fragile (they make it awkward to lean the case on its edge if you need to while working on it)
*) The case will not lie flat on the desk due to the facia - the facia is not flush with the side of the case - the facia is likely to get ripped from the case one day in the car on the way to a LAN game
*) It's hard for the hot air to rise to the top of the case when the "hole" in the divider is full of IDE cables and power cables
*) The side doors are hard to get off (they need grab handles)
*) you have to remove the top section to get the side doors off (as you already pointed out)
*) you have to slide the doors all the way back (as you already pointed out)
*) there are not enough power connectors in the case
*) there is no connector on the power supply for a power lead to the monitor
*) the internal space is the case is very badly utilized

For $75 your not going to get much of a full tower. Might get a pretty sweet Mid-Tower. Check out ww.tigerdirect.com for cases. There pretty good or www.pricewatch.com and you may find the H*08 cases for arounf $75 but then theres shipping
Old 12-03-2001, 12:08 AM
XDiGiTaLX

1) The power supply should be positioned at the very top of the case by default in expel the hot air from the top of the case (or they should include the fans at the top of the case as standard equipment)
2) The feet on the case are fragile (they make it awkward to lean the case on its edge if you need to while working on it)
3) The case will not lie flat on the desk due to the facia - the facia is not flush with the side of the case - the facia is likely to get ripped from the case one day in the car on the way to a LAN game
4) It's hard for the hot air to rise to the top of the case when the "hole" in the divider is full of IDE cables and power cables
5) The side doors are hard to get off (they need grab handles)
6) you have to remove the top section to get the side doors off (as you already pointed out)
7) you have to slide the doors all the way back (as you already pointed out)
there are not enough power connectors in the case
9) there is no connector on the power supply for a power lead to the monitor
10) the internal space is the case is very badly utilized

1) The power supply is under the fans because the fans (exhaust ones) are made to barf out the hot air from the hard drives. 3 hard drives can get pretty on on a server.
2)Are the feet fragigile because they snap off when you tilt 'em? If thats the case, they snap off when you tilt 'em cuz theres too much weight on it. Unlike other cases, the feet wouldn't snap off, they'd BREAK off! If they snap off they can be easly resnapped on!
3)if you put the facia thing outside the desk and leave the metal on the desk u won't have probs.
4)Thats true. But what you can do about that is get 2 60mm fans and mod 'em right beside the mobo connectors in the tray. Then get a pipe to direct the air where yu want it.
5)You MAY need grab handles. I just put my palm flat on the sliding panel, get a firm grip and push it an inch back. sinse i mod the tabs, i can lift it up.
6)To fix that problem, all you need to do is dremel off the space where it blocks it... Just 1x1cm on each side. man if only i had a cam.
7)Theres a mod to that. Check it out in the how-to
6 power connectors is pretty enough for me. If its not enoguh just get a splitter. 2-3 $
9)Connector for what? i don't understand
10)It depends how you lay it out.

All those inquiries make sense. But dremel (and a few other tools) were invented to make life easyer. So Void That Warranty and MOD! ;D I love my case! Just wait until i get my TV Tuner back so i can take pictures with my camcorder (i know i sound refugee but its the best solution! a 3in one... TV, VCR and U can plug a cam corder/VCR) Better than any DiGiTaL Camera!