Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 03-16-2002, 03:57 PM
Grinnin Reaper

Default free upgrades ???

Here is something to ponder and if you have heard of this please let me know so I don't go crazy (or crazier).

I was once told that installing IE 5.0 or greater on a Win 95 box forced IE 5.0 to upgrade your kernal to 98.  It kept all of the looks of 95 but ran more like 98.  Something to do with IE 5 or greater had to do a lot of changes to run in a Windows OS. Any one ever here of this.

Now point two which made me remember.  At work I have a laptop with Win 98 SE.  While installing Office XP it forced many changes to my OS none of which I can be sure of what it's done.  Sound like another round of rumors and cocpiracy theories but I would like to know what it did.  Did I get a free install of an XP kernal on a 98 box or did I get some ME bugs with the free update?
Old 03-16-2002, 04:18 PM
Chef

Default Re: free upgrades ???

Actually IE 4.0+ slightly changed Win95 looked, but not ran (tool bar icons, smoth fonts). It sure did some upgrade for certain Win95 components, but not for kernel. not likely. (it was free, remember

About Office XP, I haven't noticed of any visible changes in W98se ???, but sure it changed things, like Office2k upgraded IE,W98 installer, ...

Have you noticed, that every new Office pack upgrades IE for newer version. What's for ??? I don't like it. I switch to Opera

Cheers
Chef

Old 03-17-2002, 01:48 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess
Default Re: free upgrades ???

i dont think that what you heard is based on any fact. To change the kernel of an operating system, you can not be running it and office doesn't install in pure dos. what offic adds are components which allow it to db its stuff more readily. no OS changes except in db'ing type or similar stuff. wont affect many other program used.