Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 02-28-2002, 07:42 PM
stealer

Default scanreg/restore in windows xp

Hi All,

Using win 98 I have had the need to use "scanreg/restore" when windows has a problem. I understand windows xp has the system restore but can only be used if the system can be booted. Is there anything like "scanreg/restore" that can be used if windows xp won't boot at all?

Thanks
Stephen
Old 02-28-2002, 07:50 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Keefe Send a message via AIM to Keefe Send a message via MSN to Keefe Send a message via Yahoo to Keefe
Default Re: scanreg/restore in windows xp

To my knowledge I do not know of any program like that for windows xp.  Let me do some research and see what I find out.

keefe
Old 02-28-2002, 10:34 PM
jinx

Not sure I understand what you mean by 'booted'.  System restore in all Windows vers calls for a 'restart', to reset the registry back to the date you select.
Don't have XP, but it's my understanding you won't have a 'restore calender' to choose dates from till you create the first date yourself.  
Old 02-28-2002, 10:47 PM
jinx

Re-read your post, no dos on XP, if XP don't boot you can't use the command line, best bet might be to get an XP boot disk, and go from there, here is a link to get the XP boot disk:

-----------------

XP Boot Disks

----------------
Old 02-28-2002, 11:50 PM
stealer

Jinx,

When using windows 9x, you can boot with a boot disk and goto the directory C:/windows/command. Then type "scanreg/restore".
The next screen is where you can pick a date that you can roll your registry back to. Windows 9x makes a registry backup every 24 hours all by itself. Using scanreg/restore is where you can pick one of those backups to restore from.

keefe

If you find anything please let me know.

Thanks,
Stephen

Old 03-01-2002, 08:37 AM
jinx

stealer,
If  your XP doesn't boot at all, why not download the XP boot disk as referenced above, use it to boot your XP, then do whatever you wish with system restore ?
If XP had DOS you could run 'restore' from DOS, but XP won't have dos unless you patch it in someway.
The link above will give you a XP bootable disk, once booted use the command line for system restore.
Old 03-01-2002, 10:53 AM
stealer

Hi Jinx,

You just hit the problem on the head. I can use the xp boot disk (or even a win9x boot disk, I'm really not sure what the difference is) to start the system but I don't know where to go from there. How do I do a system restore from there?

Thanks for your help.
Stephen
Old 03-01-2002, 12:13 PM
jinx

Stephen,
Once you get the boot disk and get XP up, go to start/run and type in :
scanreg /restore
note space after scanreg and before frontslash, then click OK, that should start the ball rolling to a date ( maybe last 5 ) once you get in DOS. Post back any results and we may can help you further if this doesn't work, but it should.
Also any win98 boot disk should work, but I would go and read all the info at the XP boot disk link above first.
Old 05-27-2002, 09:04 PM
geetika

yes scanreg like thing is possible.c:\windows\system32\rstrui.exe