Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Go Back   Techwarelabs Community > Tech > Networking

Old 09-12-2002, 09:16 AM
BobyJo

Default Help w/ Networking 98se system to W2k system.

We have two systems.
My system is the server and I run W2kSP3.
I can map the hd's from the 98se system on my W2k system, but cannot get the W2k hds mapped to the W98se system.
We have tried everything, we have an account set up in W2k in the name of the W98se system, everything should work.
BUT IT DON'T, this is very frustrating. It was working great w/both W2k.
Been this way for almost 3 months, every since the wife wanted to go back to W98se.
I can manage both systems from my console, but the wife cannot come and get a file that is on my hd.
I have to open explorer and get it for her.
This is OK, and in most eyes better this way.
It is just frustrating that I can't acomplish this.
Old 09-12-2002, 10:11 AM
Grinnin Reaper

If I'm not mistaken it because Win2k runs NTFS and 98 cannot see partions done in NTFS correct me if I'm wrong. I had that problem with XP and 98 on the same network and that's what I chalked it up to.
Old 09-12-2002, 11:24 AM
BobyJo

I do not have a dual boot system. I run my W2k under NTFS and the large partition of the hard drive is FAT32, that is where all the games are loaded, thus eleminating any problems with any game having problems with NTFS. W2k will see the games on the FAT32 drive and run them just like they are loaded on a NTFS partition.

I see your point in the mapping of drives, NTFS simply will not see the drives on the W98se system. Makes since, all my work was to no avail.
BAH
Old 09-12-2002, 11:00 PM
eviltechie

i have the same setup except my win2k is on FAT32

the only problem i had was login access problem

this is my suggestion for your problem
in Users menu of Win2k
looks for something like
password never expires or account never expires or something

it was that setting that enabled me to view my win2k machine from my win98se

try it if you think its relevant
Old 09-13-2002, 07:02 AM
BobyJo

Yea, I had my W2k written on FAT32, but had some stability problems caused by?? Formatted NTSF and those stability problems went away and the speed of W2k went up a lot. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-13-2002, 09:20 AM
accurateimage

Default :)

You have 1 drive with fat32 and NTFS..?? How odd, my drived will not let me do that, any of them maxtory or WD, they get goofy when I partition them and try to run to different file sysetems. Also the real question here is why does she wanna run 98..?? *LOL* Old software..?
Old 09-13-2002, 09:24 AM
Grinnin Reaper

Actually some of us still prefer 98. At least till the wrinkles get ironed out of Linux.
Old 09-13-2002, 09:56 AM
accurateimage

Really... <<< wonders why i can see it if you have older software, but after useing W2K for awhile, I would never even think of going back, but yes I am waiting for linux also
Old 09-13-2002, 10:36 AM
BobyJo

Since officially MS does not support 98se and back anylonger. Every one is gonna have to do something soon. ME is the only certified drivers that can be had as of now. When they drop support for ME in the next year, or so they will no longer be 9x drivers offically anyway.
I had her system on W2k and she just was not as familiar with it as 98se. So she asked if I would put 98se back on it.
As far as placing ntfs and fat32 on the same drive is not hard at all.
All you need is the W2k install disks. Format the whole drive in fat32. This will include the small partition for the OS, and the large partition for data & programs. When you install W2k, you will be asked if you want to format the partition in ntfs or leave it as it is. Select ntfs and away you go.
Old 09-13-2002, 11:09 AM
accurateimage

Odd, when I try to do exactly as you said on any of my comps I get file sysetm errors if I try to run fat32 and NTFS ont he same drive even with dual partitions *L* who knows mabey all my stuff is as odd as I am :P