Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 09-26-2002, 09:06 PM
chaplndave

Default New ISP

I'm looking for a new Internet Service Provider. Of course, like most of the rest of you I'm looking for low cost, stable service, and great customer service. Unfortunately, I am stuck with dial up for now as my area does not have DSL available and there is no cable here either. I do have Direct TV, but when I saw the price of hook up and equipment...then the unreasonably high monthly rate I decided that dial up was OK for now. Can any of you help me out with suggestions and links???
Old 09-27-2002, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Omega Send a message via AIM to Omega Send a message via MSN to Omega Send a message via Yahoo to Omega

It would help to know your intended use and/or requirements. A dial-up ISP with "unlimited" usage is fairly easy to find for ~$10/month. There are other issues to consider, though:
-Does the ISP allow you to use 3rd party SMTP servers? If not, what is their maximum attachment size limit?
-Does the ISP have a maximum session length? If so, how long is it, and is there a minimum wait-time before reconnecting?
-Do the ISP dial-up servers have individual maximum account usage quotas? Although they claim "unlimited usage," many ISPs do not control the dial-up servers directly, and have a maximum montly quota of 200, or 300 hours per user. You can usually get around this by having them configure a second account for you to use once the first reaches quota, or connecting to a different phone number once the quota is reached, but it's a hassle.
-Is customer service easily reachable? You may run into things you didn't think about, or problems, and down-time can be a *very* bad thing.
-Are they going to take action if they discover you're using the connection as a "dedicated" connection?
-Do they offer static IP addresses?

There may be other factors I haven't thought of, but I'd say you should figure out what you need, want, and what might be nice to have. Then figure out which you'd be willing to sacrifice for saving $5, or take one, but drop another.
Old 10-01-2002, 12:22 AM
Sabzevarian

There also may be some free internet accounts in your area. At least in general Vancouver, there are several institutions with 10-15 hour a month packages for people without much money. You can donate and use, but a donation is not necessary so it is free. All you would have to do is sign up for several accounts for your family members or friends, so you would have enough time. I personally volunteer there so they gave me a free (but useless) unlimited account.