Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Go Back   Techwarelabs Community > Tech > Networking

Old 10-17-2002, 08:17 AM
jhebert

Default installing 2 nic cards

Im running widows XP. i have a router and a switch. I would like to take the router out becuase im getting tired of changeing ports to get programs to work. I hear you can have 2 nic cards in a computer. is there any special settings that you have to do to get this to work. My goal is to have on computer hook to my dsl and have my other computers on a lan and still be able to get on the internet.
Old 10-17-2002, 12:07 PM
Greg Orza

hello, this is exactly how my network is setup without a router and using 2 nics

computer hoooked up to modem has 2 nics, one nic to the modem and the other nic connected WITH A CROSSOVER CABLE to the other nic whereever your other computer it. the after everything is connected, run xp's internet connection sharing wizard and then it will work. just install the .exe xp makes on the client machine then it should be connected. MAKE SURE ITS SPECIFICALLY A CROSSOVER CABLE!!!!!! it runs about 35 cents a foot at home depot or just go to your local computer store and tell him what u need. dont go to best buy or anything becuase IF they even carry it, itll be way to expensive. so just keep the card thats plugged into the modem the same. keep that connected to the modem, add the other nic, run the cables then the wizard. if u haev any questions you can email me at xbanex@equalvision.net you can also do it manually by setting the ip address to a network ip address of 192.168.0.1 and then the client to 192.168.0.2 and point the dns server to 192.168.0.1 its really easy. are u interested in selling or trading that router.. I need a router but im just reallly short on cash.

Greg Orza
Old 10-17-2002, 02:51 PM
eviltechie

i dont like proxy

too troublesome for me...

id just keep the switch...
Old 10-18-2002, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Omega Send a message via AIM to Omega Send a message via MSN to Omega Send a message via Yahoo to Omega

eviltechie: This isn't a proxy server. This is simply setting up the computer with 2 NICs to be a NAT device (or as it's commonly named, a "router"). Granted, I'm not really quallified to explain a proxy server, but I'm pretty sure this isn't it.

jhebert: You don't need to use a crossover cable if you're going to connect the second NIC to the switch, as it sounds like you're planning on doing. Greg Orza's description seems accurate for getting it set up, though.
Old 10-19-2002, 12:18 AM
eviltechie

Greg Orza was suggesting a proxy setup

Internet Sharing from windows is using proxy
Old 10-19-2002, 04:33 AM
TheRogue

ive got 2 NICs in my linux 'router' box, cable (broadband) goes into one, the switch connects to the other

i have nat/ipmasq running in linux, and will hopefully be end of weekend have setup traffic shaping

o, theres nothing paticularly special to do having 2 NICs in a box
Old 10-19-2002, 02:18 PM
eviltechie

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...,639509,00.asp
Old 07-05-2003, 01:10 AM
OpM-DEATH

Default dual nics in XP

ok this seems to be along the line of what im trying to accomplish,
i have 3 computers each has 2 nic cards. i have SDSL and 3 assined IP address with that each computer has its own ip address only problem being the SDSL modem dosent offer me any LAN type options i have to run a FTP server on each comp to move files around and i only get about 800-900K with this, no big deal with small files but i do alot of video editing and a 1-3 GB file takes a long time to move this way. now i have 2 XP machines and one win 2000 Pro, for some reason the 2000 Pro machine can handle running both cards at the same time and it knows which to use for internet and which is for the lan both cards are enabled on this machine and i can see the the XP machines ONLY if i disable the nic that is on SDSL and enable the card plugged into my hub but the XP machines cant run both cards at the same time nor can the XP machines see the 2000 machine or each other (hopefully i havent lost you yet) i want to be able to have the XP machines run the way the 2000 one does. without haveing to install 2000 on all 3 because 2000 dosent seem to like to run my games here are the machine specs if theis helps

XP #1: AMD Athalon 1.4, 512 PC133 ram realtek 100/100T, Linksys 100TX nic cards

XP #2: AMD 2600XP 512 PC3200 ram, 2 linksys 100TX nic cards

win2000 Pro: intel P3 866 512 PC133 ram, intel Pro Set 10/100T, Linksys 100TX nic cards

i have tried both my Speadstream router and my Netgear 4 port Hub for the LAN the SDSL modem is a Speedstream also

my email is jdgardner@speakeasy.net
Old 07-05-2003, 02:08 PM
xMerCLorDx

Old 07-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Uranium-235 Send a message via AIM to Uranium-235

Sharing between a speedstream DSL modem (USB) and a NIC is exacly what I'm currently doing (next house, we'll be moving to a nic-based modem so I can use linux...speedstream drivers are windows only).

here is how I have it set, the common mistake is to select the internet shared device as the speedstream modem itself, but you need to set it as the PPPOE driver (attached picture)