Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Go Back   Techwarelabs Community > Tech > General Board

Old 12-15-2001, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Keefe Send a message via AIM to Keefe Send a message via MSN to Keefe Send a message via Yahoo to Keefe
Default Can anyone help save Hardware Pub?

As you may or may not know Hardwarepub.com is been going up and down for the last two days.  Site5 has been deactivating my account because they claim my site is using too many resources.  I have about a month to get another host.  I have decide that I have had enough with shared hosting and I am going to build my own server.  I already have the bandwidth, now all I need is the server.  I am asking if anyone has any spare hardware or cash that I could use to built the server.  Any little bit helps!  If you own a business I will place a banner for you on Hardwarepub if you help us out.  I know if we all work together we can get this going.  Once the server is built netsmog will be moved to it also since we are near our limits also.

Thanks Very Much

Keefe

Old 12-15-2001, 12:20 PM
Golden Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to wizbones
Default Re: Can anyone help save Hardware Pub?

How much space and bandwidth are you currently using? I may be able to host you until you get your server built. Unfortunately I have no extra parts laying around to help in that respect.
The Maximum Effective Range of an Excuse is Zero point Zero Meters!
Old 12-15-2001, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Keefe Send a message via AIM to Keefe Send a message via MSN to Keefe Send a message via Yahoo to Keefe

we are getting about 5000 hits per day...
Old 12-15-2001, 08:11 PM
Xplosive

Us too, at Explosive Hardware (http://www.explosivehardware.net we are getting around 5000-7000 hits per day. I find our servers do a pretty good job at handling them.
Ventures Online (http://www.venturesonline.com they provide many different packages and no setup fee.
Old 12-18-2001, 08:26 AM
Simo

Also worth a look are http://www.tier1host.net/
heard nothing bad about them...and there pretty cheap.

And i know that they can handle high bandwidth sites cuz they host www.cooltext.com
Old 12-23-2001, 06:20 PM
Dustin

HardwarePub shouldn't be 'saved', because there's nothing worth saving. You and ExplosiveHardware are both the bane of the hardware site industry.

First off, your awful grammar, spelling, writing structure, and read flow disgusts me. You guys write like 14 year olds, which I suspect you are.

Second, reviewing sticks of ram, rounded cables and other pointless items isn't a good way to start a site, and they're most certainly not ways to exemplify your journalism skills or your site's quality.

Additionally, for other youngins looking for free hardware, don't start sites like this. You're the reason good hardware and tech sites are going down the drain. Ever wonder why your favorite  gaming site is down? Look to sites like these for your answer. There are simply too many of these kind of sites bloating up the fabric of the internet, and destroying business for many hard working people.

If you want to be a tech writer, and that's your passion; try to get in with an already working site. Work hard, write well and present a test article for the site. If you're worthy, then you'll be on the way to being a good, professional journalist.

From what I've read at your sites, especially Explosive Hardware; you guys need to work on all aspects of site management and writing.

The first thing to really do is focus on writing quality. Every article I read from either site is full of grammatical errors and misused words and horrible flow. This needs to be fixed to look more professional. The more professional you look, the more companies will smile upon you, and the more you will be able to write reviews. It's a circle that goes around and around.

I'm not trying to be mean, or insulting, but I really feel for the webmasters of sites that have once made profit, and now lose tons of cash. I've been there, I've experienced it first hand, and I experience it now.

I wish you guys all the best, and I hope you take my advice to heart, because I'd love to see great work from ya'll in the future!
Old 12-23-2001, 08:29 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Omega Send a message via AIM to Omega Send a message via MSN to Omega Send a message via Yahoo to Omega

I suppose if I really wanted, I could point out errors in just your one post, but I really don't want to get into that.  Managing any web site is difficult; I'll get that out there right now.  At HWP we're definitely not just sitting around trying to rake in the big dollars.

Secondly, our site has been in existence for about two years now, and we're constantly working on improving our standing in the Internet community.  Granted, we surely have our share of grammatical and/or spelling errors, but I defy you to find a site of equal or greater size as HardwarePub without problems.

I would also like to question your intentions in your post.  "Your awful grammar, spelling, writing structure, and read flow disgusts me" can't be interpreted in any way much other than intending insult, which you denied in your post, saying, "I'm not trying to be mean, or insulting."

I also believe you are being a little quick to point the finger at my site for your loss of money.  I'll be quite candid and tell you that I'm definitely not taking any of your money, or anyone else's for that matter.

In response to your comment "There are simply too many of these kind of sites bloating up the fabric of the internet, and destroying business for many hard working people," I would like to ask you first, what makes these other people that I'm apparently destroying business for more worthy than myself, and secondly, when did you observe my work ethic, to categorize me as not hard working?  According to your comment I surely can't be hard working, since then I would be destroying my own business.

Additionally, shouldn't you be happy if I have terrible grammar, spelling, and flow?  As you pointed out, "It's a circle that goes around and around."  You begin your post by giving reasons why we shouldn't exist, yet conclude your post by encouraging us, saying "I'd love to see great work from ya'll in the future!"

If you figure out which you want, get back to me, but also, not until you can show me this site you keep saying we should be like, without error, perfect grammar and spelling, excellent flow, and only reviewing the products that you consider important.  Like Jesus said, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" (or something like that).
Old 12-23-2001, 08:29 PM
Steve-O

Ok Dustin you have crossed the line when you mention my RAM review is pointless. Lets see you start your own site, I dont think you can. Do you think were HardOCP, Anandtech, or any other site like that? No. I am a 15 year old kid here. Do you think me being 15 makes me a non-computer reviewer, do you think all the smaller sites pumping out 4-5 reviews a week are pieces of crap? Lets see, Anand only does 1 a week. We are a hard working crew. I dont have $5,000 to spend on a layout. All this was handmade. I think you better think about the aspect of things here buddy. We are small, just as every other site was small. We are growing just like every other tech site has been growing, and we will hopefully become a major player in the reviewing future also. If your opinions are here to make us all feel bad and be compared to something we are not, they you might as well get out of here.
Old 12-23-2001, 11:34 PM
Paul

Dustin,
obviously you are a disgruntled staff member from hardware site that has shut down. You have come to our forums and plagued it with your insulting reply. Our site and all the other tech sites out there have no responsibility what so ever for the closing of large websites. They are responsible for their own financial states. You claim that we run a site like this for just some free hardware but you are wrong. If our site is so unprofessional why do large manufacturers agree to send us products for reviewing? They are not ignorant and just send hardware to anyone who claims they work for a tech site. Obviously they like and respect sites like ours or else they would not send us hardware to review. So next time before you post think of what you are saying.
Old 12-24-2001, 12:09 AM
Big_E

Dustin,
Thank you for your comment. We at Hardware Pub strive to become a leading computer hardware review website.
To answer your questions:
-Yes. The majority of our reviews are by teenagers. I am the eldest at 18 years of age. I appreciate that you brought up the point of our reviews containing grammatical errors. Although I am Senior Hardware Editor, I am preoccupied with writing my own reviews and do not have time to proof read my colleagues' work. We will go through all our reviews to conform and spell check them.
-With regards to our reviews, we do have ones that focus on "quality" components. Some include the AMD Athlon XP 1800+ review just posted tonight, ATI Radeon 8500 (which proved very popular), EPoX 8KHAL and MSI K7T266 Pro2 KT266A motherboards, and many more video card and motherboard ones. However, we do not want to focus exclusively on such components. Thus, other reviews on memory, cases, and miscellaneous components add variety to our reviews. Furthermore, we are strengthening relationships with several online retailers and manufacturers, such as EPoX, ATi, and Monarch Computers, to provide us the latest hardware to review.
-I would like to point out that not everyone works for free hardware. For example, I work because I have a passion for computers promoting products I like. The majority of reviews are on my own hardware. I upgrade like every month. In addition, with my recent EPoX 8KHAL review, with which we were the second website to publish such a review, I did not keep the motherboard and returned it to EPoX. Also, one can't rely entirely on major sites like Anandtech to keep them updated on the computer world. Do they have an EPoX 8KHAL review? Every site is different. And please do not say we're not hard working.
-With regards to management, I would like to say that Keefe and David are doing an incredible job at managing this site. We are much better now than we were a month ago. Our site is much cleaner. And, we have grown twice as big this month alone. Moreover, please keep in mind we are high school and college students as well.
-With regards to our work, I can understand that everyone has their own writing style. As an editor myself, with many years of high school English behind my back, I believe I am writing well. Please read my AMD Athlon XP 1800+ and Radeon 8500 reviews and please comment on my writing style. If I am doing something bad, I want to fix or improve it.
-With regards to other webmasters out there. They're site is they're site. Hardware Pub is our site. We focus on our site alone. Personally, I don't care if Anandtech or whoever is losing money. As of now, we are not running this website to make money. Rather, everyone donates and contributes to keep this website afloat. We are just a bunch of hardware enthusiasts that want to express ourselves and become the best site out there. Based on your experience, we would be more than grateful if you would share some tips for website success ;-) .
I believe this answers all your questions and comments.
Thank you for posting.
Edward Chang
Senior Hardware Editor / Marketing Manager
Big_E@hardwarepub.com

-
-