Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 03-18-2002, 12:09 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Keefe Send a message via AIM to Keefe Send a message via MSN to Keefe Send a message via Yahoo to Keefe
Default Term of the Day: hammering

The act of trying repeatedly to connect to an unavailable FTP server with little or no time between connection attempts. It can be compared to repeatedly hitting the "redial" button on a telephone when dialing a phone number that is busy until the other phone is no longer busy.

Trading servers have a limit on the number of active connections that may be present at one time. A server cannot process an unlimited number of requests, so when servers are occupied to full capacity they will deny further access until they have free space. Hammering consumes bandwidth, slowing down the server. In addition to already working at capacity, the server has to then send a busy response to the device that was unable to connect every time that device attempts a connection, which further depletes the server's resources and slows the system down in its connections with other devices.

Most FTP sites have policies against hammering and require FTP clients to set retry times at specific intervals, commonly at least 120 seconds between each attempt to connect. Most FTP sites can also monitor for devices that hammer, and once detected the server will ban access to the offending IP address either permanently or for a limited amount of time.
Old 03-18-2002, 12:40 PM
Chef

Default Re: Term of the Day: hammering

sounds like DoS for FTP, what's new  ;D

Cheers
Chef
Old 03-18-2002, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess
Default Re: Term of the Day: hammering

a while back i used to do that with getright when i set the interval to the minimum (1 sec.). i got errors at some sites and then changed it back to 120 sec when onesite said it slowd the response down even further. basically hammered sites without even knowing.