Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 06-18-2004, 01:03 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Keefe Send a message via AIM to Keefe Send a message via MSN to Keefe Send a message via Yahoo to Keefe
Default Disabling Messenger Service to stop spam

Disabling Messenger Service in Windows XP

If advertisements are opening on your computer in a window titled Messenger Service, it may indicate that your system is not secure. You should enable the Internet Connection Firewall and disable the Messenger Service in Windows XP to help protect your computer from unwanted spam and other potential threats.

The Messenger Service was originally designed for use by system administrators to notify Windows users about their networks. However, some advertisers have started using this service to send information via the Internet, and these messages could be used maliciously to distribute a virus.

• Note Although the name of the service is similar, Messenger Service in Windows XP is not related to instant messaging programs such as Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger. Disabling instant messaging programs is not necessary and not recommended. Disabling instant messaging programs will not prevent Messenger Service spam on your computer.

• If your computer is part of a corporate network, ask the network administrator before disabling Messenger Service.

• If you have Windows XP at home or in a small office that you manage yourself, you should disable the Messenger Service.

First, make sure that your system is protected by an Internet firewall and that you've followed the steps to Protect Your PC. Disabling the Messenger Service without using a firewall will prevent the unwanted spam, but will not protect your computer from intruders.

To disable the Messenger Service in Windows XP (Caution: If your computer is part of a corporate network, talk to your system administrator before taking this action.)

Click Start and then click Control Panel.

Click Performance and Maintenance. (If you do not see the Performance and Maintenance icon, you may be using Classic View. You can skip to step 3 below, but you must double-click Administrative Tools.)

Click Administrative Tools.

Double-click Services as shown in Figure 1 above..

Double-click Messenger.

In the Startup type list, choose Disabled as shown in Figure 2 below.

Click Stop, and then click OK.

If you want to see pictures of how to do this, refer to Microsoft's article here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u.../stopspam.mspx
Old 06-18-2004, 04:16 AM
xMerCLorDx

or you could go:

1. start > run > command > net stop messenger
Old 06-25-2004, 01:04 AM

Hey keefe, thanks for this post. I have had this messenger thing running for about 2 months now, and feel extremely stupid for now knowing how to get rid of it. Thanks again.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:52 AM
xMerCLorDx

uh, my way is a lot easier.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:47 AM

Well being my first time dealing with the situation, I wanted to see where it originated from for my own knowlege, rather than simply getting rid fo it. That way I hit 2 birds with one stone.
Old 07-02-2004, 01:37 AM
Lab Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to Jason425 Send a message via Yahoo to Jason425

keefe's way is the way i've always done it.. so it's better.. the end
Dell Inspiron 1420 in Midnight Blue - Intel Core2Duo T7300 2.0GHZ/4MB - 2GB Ram - Nvidia 8400 GS 128mb - DVD/RW - 160GB 7200RPM - 14.1" Antiglare - Intel 4965AGN - Bluetooth 2.0 - 2MP Webcam - Vista Home Premium
2005 Mazda3i in Strato Blue
http://www.jasondsmith.net

Old 07-02-2004, 02:43 AM
james

doing net stop messenger will only stop messenger on that particular boot. keefe's method, not only stops messenger, but prevents it from being started by other programs, and it will not be started back on next boot. I do not believe the net stop command will do all of that (unless there are some flags that will force that behavior)
Old 07-02-2004, 03:32 AM
xMerCLorDx

no it's not. it sets it to manual. and keeps it there even through boots.

but fine, do it the long way and never use the command line how it's supposed to be used.