TechwareLabs Thinking Outside the Cube

Subscribe Form

Get the Latest Tech News

Go Back   TechwareLabs Forums > Hardware > Motherboards

Old 09-02-2011, 12:43 PM

Question How can you tell if the CPU or Motherboard is bad?

hey guys.

new to the forum, just signed up. i have a desktop at home that i need to check. the problem is that the fans are spinning, but don't get no *beep* and the system does not boot into POST. actually i'm not getting anything on my display -no signal-

i've tried booting up without any peripherals, only PSU, mobo and ram stick. nothing. at first glance, do you think that the cpu fried or the motherboard died?

the mobo in question is an ECS G31T-M7, cpu is an Intel Celeron 1.8GHz, psu is a 400W.

i dont have an intel system i can cross test with and i'm not planning on buying new parts just to test it for my uncle... though i was considering it

if you guys think of anything about this issue, had such an encounter before, i look forward to your experience and wisdom LOL
Old 09-11-2011, 06:08 PM

It sounds like you're doing everything right. I would lean more towards the motherboard being bad if you aren't getting any beep codes. Really the only way to test is to try the components in another system. Until you know for sure that the mobo is good, I would assume it's bad when doing testing. Find another board to put the CPU and RAM in to test.

If you can't find another board to test the hardware in, many tech stores have pretty good return policies if catch my drift
Old 11-07-2013, 01:52 PM

Is it possible even without opening the tower?

Tags
cpu, fail, motherboard