TechwareLabs Thinking Outside the Cube

Subscribe Form

Get the Latest Tech News

Go Back   TechwareLabs Forums > Hardware > General Hardware

Old 12-01-2011, 10:17 AM

Exclamation Old Portable DVD Player need to convert?

Hello,

Is there any possible way or a hacking solution to hook up my camera with RCA connection to this DVD Player.

The Portable dvd play is old, and it only has RCA OUT connection

Does anyone know, if I can hack it or something to make my camera work on it. I don't want to buy a TV for a security camera.

Thanks

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
GMG-One | Your New Marketing Team!
www.GMGOne.tk
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 12-08-2011, 04:06 PM
Administrator

So if I understand correctly you have a digicam with RCA outs but a DVD player without RCA input right? One possible solution is to get a converter from RCA to whatever your DVD player has as inputs.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:27 AM

See thats thing, its an old one, without any INPUT options

I thought may be, I could like hack it or open it up and some how connect it directly to the lcd screen connection.

I don't know, maybe no one actually made that attempt before.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:29 PM

It may be possible to do, but you'll probably need to solder some stuff. You'll need to figure out what wires go to what, but it's not out of the range of possibilities. I know over at www.hackaday.com they do a lot of stuff like what you're suggesting. They have a forum section that may be able to help you.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:49 PM
Administrator

It may be impossible as well. The signal would need to be in a format that the player would accept. You may be better off just getting a newer player that does what you want. Could be cheaper and eliminate the hassle of soldering connections that may or may not work.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:29 AM

These devices are not hackable. If there is no input then one cannot "hack" it. Besides, it is a player, not a recorder.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValindaBolton View Post
These devices are not hackable. If there is no input then one cannot "hack" it. Besides, it is a player, not a recorder.
He's not trying to record something. He's trying to use the existing internal connection that connects the screen to the DVD playing portion to connect the screen to some other input. A quick Google search shows people doing exactly what he's talking about.

http://www.overclock.net/t/355286/ho...-dvd-player/20

So, depending on the model, it is definitely possible to do what he's talking about. It just requires a pretty hefty knowledge about electronics.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:48 PM

Default No device is "hack proof".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValindaBolton View Post
Just because you don't know how to doesn't mean it can't be done. Especially in A/V.

Maybe there is an input on the chip but there wasn't enough PCB real-estate so the manufacturer left it off. Or perhaps adding the composite to the board would have taken too long and they launched the product without it. Or, maybe, just maybe, they have another model that has composite input, and in this case I would imagine it makes more business sense to reuse that board in this model in stead of making another board design completely.

You can't assume anything in electronic is absolute. If that were the case then hackers wouldn't exist.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:27 AM

I think you should get a converter to make the file of your camera compatible with your DVD player for you to have a better view of the video. Aside from good reception, you should get a better lighting fixture to fit your TV contrast. You can visit this site http://www.lightingbylux.com/Schonbe...xtures-s/3.htm to know the best lighting fixture that best fits your living room or entertainment area.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:42 PM

Okay so you have a video camera that you are using as a CCTV camera and you want to use the attached screen of a portable DVD player as the monitor?

Firstly, you can find a composite input monitor for really cheap. eBay my friend EBAY.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-TM-900SU...item3f13e0d51c

Secondly if you want to go the hack route then model numbers or chipset numbers help.

Tags
portable dvd player hack