WD® MAXIMIZES ENTERPRISE STORAGE WITH 4 TB WD RE SAS, WD RE SATA HARD DRIVES
New 3.5-inch Nearline Drives Provide Leading Capacity, Highest Reliability for 24×7, 100% Duty
Cycle Operating Environments
IRVINE, Calif. – Sept. 27, 2012 – WD®, a Western Digital company (NASDAQ: WDC), and a leader in the
mobile, desktop, high-capacity enterprise and consumer markets for hard drives today announced it is
further expanding its enterprise-class storage offerings with the release of new WD RE SAS and WD RE
SATA hard drives in capacities up to 4 TB, the largest on the market today. Available immediately in 1 TB,
2 TB, 3 TB and 4 TB capacities for nearline SAS and 2 TB, 3 TB and 4 TB for SATA, the 3.5-inch WD RE
SAS and WD RE SATA hard drives offer the powerful combination of enterprise-class features and
superior capacity to meet the growing demands of conventional business-critical environments as well as
the high-capacity and performance requirements of cloud and scale-out computing.
Features of the new WD RE SAS and WD RE SATA hard drives include:
- Dual port, full duplex connectivity: Ideal for leading business-critical enterprise topologies.
- 1.4M hours MTBF / 1.2M hours MTBF: Provides the highest level of reliability for 24×7 and up to 100% duty applications, for the WD RE SAS and SATA, respectively.
- Planet friendly: RoHS compliant, halogen reduced components.
- NoTouch™ ramp load technology: Recording heads never touch the disk media ensuring significantly less wear to recording heads and media as well as better drive protection in transit.
- Dual Stage Actuation (DSA) and Rotary Acceleration Feed Forward (RAFF™): Best in class operation and performance when drives are used in vibration-prone, multi-drive chassis.
- Highest Capacity: Perfect for maximum capacity enterprise storage solutions, such as scale out, cloud storage, RAID arrays, and NAS; a massive 2.4 PB of available storage (with 10 4U, 60 bayenclosures).
- Highest Reliability: 5-disk platform, 800 GB per platter, SAS-interface, 6 Gb/sec transfer rates built for high performance 24×7.
Model Number Capacity and Features MSRP (USD)
WD4001FYYG 4 TB, SAS 6 Gb/s $479.00
WD3001FYYG 3 TB, SAS 6 Gb/s $369.00
WD2001FYYG 2 TB, SAS 6 Gb/s $249.00
WD1001FYYG 1 TB, SAS 6 Gb/s $139.00
WD4000FYYZ 4 TB, SATA 6 Gb/s $459.00
WD3000FYYZ 3 TB, SATA 6 Gb/s $349.00
WD2000FYYZ 2 TB, SATA 6 Gb/s $229.00
See our initial review of the WD Red Drive here.