Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 12-18-2001, 09:08 PM
jinx

Default FBI surveillance bonanza in BadTrans.B worm

Millions of Outlook and Outlook Express users have been infected by the BadTrans.B worm, which logs keystrokes in every open window and periodically sends the log files to one of several e-mail dumps, presumably for later retrieval by nosey hackers.

Or Feds. According to a story from Rotten.com, an ISP which hosts one of the e-mail dumps, MonkeyBrains, has received a request from the FBI to turn over all the relevant log files.

MonkeyBrains has instead turned the tables on the FBI by making part of the database available to everyone on their Web site here.

If the story is true, then the FBI's intention is clear. They plan to assemble the data and grep for various key words and names in hopes of stumbling upon the passphrases of known and suspected evildoers. It's Magic Lantern on steroids, and yet it's just a dumb accident -- but one which could dump an absolute mother lode of otherwise forbidden data in the Feds' laps.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/55/23438.html
Old 12-18-2001, 10:09 PM
aoC_PRoZaK

Default Re: FBI surveillance bonanza in BadTrans.B worm

holy shit, i´m lucky i´m without sin (LOOOOOOOOOOL) ;D
Old 12-23-2001, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Omega Send a message via AIM to Omega Send a message via MSN to Omega Send a message via Yahoo to Omega

Sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me.  The way I see it, is if someone's, well...intelligent...enough to get the BadTrans.B virus, they're
A. not going to have anything worth reading, and
B. deserving of having everything of theirs read.

It is kind of funny that the FBI asked for the records, and didn't like, get a warrant to take them, or something.
Old 11-06-2002, 02:16 AM
_AA_

Default Outlook

Here is my question right: 99.9% if not 100% of all e-mail viruses/worms are written for outlook and even more so outlook express. This is basically general knowledge, but people still insist on using it.... WHY...?

When I arrived at the organisation I am at now everybody was using outlook express and the viruses just did not stop coming. Week after week after week. I took out the M$ Server, put in a Linux Server and made everyone check their mail via the web-based e-mail "progy"... Now the only thing I have to worry about is a workstation going doing. And since outlook is out of the equation, that does not happen very often.

Granted you scan the mail for viruses but inevitably they still get through and because you are using outlook, you get wacked...

USE DIFFERENT MAIL CLIENTS DAMMIT PEOPLE !!

pisses me off !
Old 11-06-2002, 03:50 PM
jinx

Hi AA,
You said it all !
Old 11-10-2002, 10:01 PM
PowerWCRulez

I watched the TechTV - Cybercrime on my digital cable tv about the magic lantern screen on it. the imagine screen coded a mailicalous inside of picture can planted a backdooring on the puters and key strokes sending to a crooked hacker's puter without a vicitim knowing in the background runnings..
Old 11-11-2002, 11:57 AM
T-shirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega
It is kind of funny that the FBI asked for the records, and didn't like, get a warrant to take them, or something.
They almost always ask first, that avoids the difficulty of obtaining a blanket court order on questionable grounds.
Which could be overuled later! or could be so limited in scope that they would be unable to use the info in court, or as a basis for further investigation.
Any ISP with half a brain will refuse, until served, or the may be sued by their customers.