Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 01-20-2002, 01:27 PM
Peterke

Default Hardware firewalls

I'm trying to find a good hardware firewall in a router or somthing like that... as a router, persons said to me that barricade (SMC) is one of the easiest configurable routers... but how about the built-in firewall, is that any good??
Old 01-20-2002, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Keefe Send a message via AIM to Keefe Send a message via MSN to Keefe Send a message via Yahoo to Keefe
Default Re: Hardware firewalls

I have the Linksys dsl/cable router with built in firewall.  It has a really good web-based administration tool for it.  You can do everything from packet filtering to packet forwarding.  I also seems to work great with all of my programs like ICQ and morpheus.
Old 01-21-2002, 07:50 AM
Peterke

I saw a SMC router, and it went great with ICQ, MSN-messenger.... it has a web-based (and very easy to use) interface... but does anyone know if the firewall is any good... I gonna try to find someone who has a Linksys... for some screenshots... to see if it's as easy as the SMC-one... or if you can email me screenshots...
Old 01-21-2002, 11:57 AM
Golden Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to wizbones

Almost all your hardware based router/firewall options have the same web interface. In fact they are all so close it's hard to tell what your connecting to if it wasn't for their logo on the pages.  ;D

I used the simple and inexpensive Linksys DSL/Cable Router with no problems, but it is low end. For home use that's fine.

For office use and better protection, The SMC, 3COM's and Sonic are the best. They range in price from 200 - 3000 US Dollars. Depends on how tight you want to be.
The Maximum Effective Range of an Excuse is Zero point Zero Meters!
Old 01-22-2002, 05:44 AM
Peterke

I've been searching for the Linksys routers, but I can't find any over here in the stores... So I think I'll go with the SMCs... they are very easy to get, over here...
Old 01-22-2002, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Uranium-235 Send a message via AIM to Uranium-235

Use a cisco router
Old 10-01-2002, 09:20 PM
trend

Default my input

Those really shouldn't be called "Routers." They don't route crap. They don't run any routing protocols, you can't put static or default routes... Why are they called a Router? A simple NAT device would be a better name, but still not an "accurate" definition. Regular Network Address Translation (NAT) uses a pool of external IP addresses to randomly use for internal clients. I don't think the Linksys or SMC does that. It lets you have one external IP address. This is another type of NAT called "NAT overload" or aka Port Address Translation (PAT).

Maybe I'm just too picky on how things are marketed. Anyway, here are my suggestions:

For ease of use on a small home network, use an SMC or Linksys "router".

For high performance on a small to medium sized network with lots of flexibility and security, go for a Cisco PIX 501 or 506. You could also consider a 806, 1605R, 2514, 2611, 2621 Router, these models each offer two fixed ethernet ports. You wouldn't get any advanced firewall features of the PIX, but the IOS firewall with access lists is alot better than a Linksys.

Any more requirements and you should look at the PIX 515, 520, and on up in combination with a regular cisco router. But who can afford this kinda stuff for home.
Old 10-01-2002, 10:08 PM
eviltechie

Old 10-06-2002, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Omega Send a message via AIM to Omega Send a message via MSN to Omega Send a message via Yahoo to Omega

No, Trend was right, they aren't true routers. Here's some discussion on the topic of routers vs switches vs hubs.

If you have basic security needs, something like a Netgear, Linksys, "router" should be alright. If you already have a "router," and you want an additional, standalone, more advanced firewall, we're getting into a new field. These devices can analyze packets to make sure they're what they say they are, and aren't destructive, can block out viruses, and can really lock down security.

For *most* people's purposes, a basic "router" will be more than enough. People won't be able to externally access your computer unless you establish the connection, or you've set up the "router" to allow this.
Old 01-09-2003, 09:27 AM
Shirkkan

Default Re: my input

Absolutely right, but for most people those "Routers" will do. They are able to stop unwanted connections to your computer but are not necessarely stateful inspection firewalls like a Cisco Pix. Also, if u install something like that u need to know what u are doing too. I have found endless routers with their web interface open on the internet. So whats the point of having a firewall if u dont know how to configure it. if u just use one computer ur best bet is a software firewall like Norton. Its still considerable easy to configure for endusers. As end user its important to protect your pc from beeing hikjacked and absued to hack other systems but in most cases u r not a target of a hacker. There are much better ways. If u run a business u might want to consider spending a few extra bux and get a Cisco Pix. Depending on the features and the size of your network there are different models. For the most small businesses a 501 will do just fine. Its got plenty of throughput, even with 3des VPN. But its is necessary to know what u configure. Also a firewall cant stop an attack to an unsecured web server. That is called intrusion detection or IDS. Firewalls actually are a complex system of different components, not just one box. Hope that helped
www.amideo.com
Secure Network Solutions Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by trend
Those really shouldn't be called "Routers." They don't route crap. They don't run any routing protocols, you can't put static or default routes... Why are they called a Router? A simple NAT device would be a better name, but still not an "accurate" definition. Regular Network Address Translation (NAT) uses a pool of external IP addresses to randomly use for internal clients. I don't think the Linksys or SMC does that. It lets you have one external IP address. This is another type of NAT called "NAT overload" or aka Port Address Translation (PAT).

Maybe I'm just too picky on how things are marketed. Anyway, here are my suggestions:

For ease of use on a small home network, use an SMC or Linksys "router".

For high performance on a small to medium sized network with lots of flexibility and security, go for a Cisco PIX 501 or 506. You could also consider a 806, 1605R, 2514, 2611, 2621 Router, these models each offer two fixed ethernet ports. You wouldn't get any advanced firewall features of the PIX, but the IOS firewall with access lists is alot better than a Linksys.

Any more requirements and you should look at the PIX 515, 520, and on up in combination with a regular cisco router. But who can afford this kinda stuff for home.