Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Go Back   Techwarelabs Community > Tech > Hardware

Old 06-03-2001, 08:13 AM
Tokey

Default Cooling what to use

I'm going to be using the Abit  KG7-Raid socket A Board with
an AMD 1.4 ghz T-Bird. I would like to keep it under $60 or
close to that. I will be using the Antec SX1030 case
Old 06-03-2001, 12:27 PM
pooty

Default Re: Cooling what to use

Alpha PAL6035, or PEP66, GlobalWin FOP32, CAK32.  All have the Delta "Black Label" fan, which moves a lot of air, but is very noisy.
Old 06-04-2001, 06:05 AM
Duboids

Global Win FOP32-1 is what I use was rated really good....also they have a new copper one but I think it might be close to 60 bucks maybe a little cheaper  ??? :P
Old 06-06-2001, 07:07 PM
Hulaboy

What is the best way to set up your fans in a case for maximum cooling?  Let's say you have your generic case that has a PS fan blowing out.  Of course the CPU fan is blowing out as well. How would you situate the rear fan and the front fan?  Would you have the rear fan blowing in...onto the CPU and the front fan blowing in or out?
Old 06-06-2001, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Keefe Send a message via AIM to Keefe Send a message via MSN to Keefe Send a message via Yahoo to Keefe

Since the case, or power supply, fan is already blowing outward you want the air to continue to exit the rear of the pc.  The best scenario would be to add a fan in the back blowing in, and other fan in the back blowing outward.  This would make continuous air flow over all of the hardware.  This is what I do on all of my pcs and the case stays nice and cool.
Old 06-09-2001, 09:03 PM
the_warlord

the thermoengine with a 7000 rpm fan is sexy and very efficient. concur with admin on case ventilation. i used a 4" extractor fan blowing out the rear of the case right next to the cpu cooler on my last project and my temps dropped 5 degrees celcius (dont know what that is in F ). interestingly i disconnected the 5" fan at the front of the case when it became annoying (noise) and it did not affect my cpu temps at all ........................ hmmm strange!
Old 06-14-2001, 05:12 PM
chaplndave

[quote author=admin link=board=hardware&num=991577596&start=0#4 date=06/06/01 at 19:12:55]
Since the case, or power supply, fan is already blowing outward you want the air to continue to exit the rear of the pc.  The best scenario would be to add a fan in the back blowing in, and other fan in the back blowing outward.  This would make continuous air flow over all of the hardware.  This is what I do on all of my pcs and the case stays nice and cool.
[/quote]

Admin...I have never heard of this before.  I have an 80mm fan in the front of my Enlight 7237 case sucking air in and an 80mm fan (higher cfm) in the back under the power supply blowing out.  I have an Abit KT7A-Raid mobo and the thermister rarely reads above the mid 80s F for my 1GHz AMD T'bird.  Tell me more about your fan scheme.  Also, any suggestions on fan adapters or mounting an 80mm fan on my Vantec heatsink?  The Delta Black Label is driving me crazy, but I don't want to give up the excellent cooling I am presently enjoying either.  What do you think?
Old 06-14-2001, 05:43 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Keefe Send a message via AIM to Keefe Send a message via MSN to Keefe Send a message via Yahoo to Keefe

Well, I have a 80 mm fan blowing in the front and another blowing out the rear of the PC.  One thing that I recomend is to get a dust filter and put it on the fan blowing in the front.  My computer used to be full of dust and it was getting hot so I used an air compressor and blew all of the dust out of the case.  I added a dust filter onto the fan and the guts of my comptuer have stayed dust free for 6 months!  Dust can kill a comptuer...use this advice.
Old 06-15-2001, 04:23 PM
the_warlord

i installed a large extractor fan on the rear of the case near the cpu cooler. it dropped my temps substancially.
you may be able to do this and then instal a quieter (less cfm)
fan on your cpu cooler and get around the same temps..
your ears will be happy!!
Old 06-15-2001, 11:05 PM
Hulaboy

Can anyone recommend any good and QUIET case fans?  I'm really beginning to be annoyed with the humming I hear with my fans.  So, I think it's time for an upgrade...hehehe.