Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Go Back   Techwarelabs Community > Tech > Hardware

Old 06-19-2001, 07:38 PM
chaplndave

Default Setup for TDK veloCD 16x10x40x

TDK veloCD setup
OK gang...I have spent my money and my veloCD 16x10x40x will be here tomorrow. Is there anything special I need to know to set this puppy up? I mean, do I just install it, plug in the power connector and hook it into the ribbon cable that my Creative 52x CD-ROM is on? Just want to make sure that I am setting it up correctly.

Also, I will have Nero 5.0 on it. I have gone to the Nero homepage and they offer a free upgrade to 5.5. Anyone have any experience with downloading and installing this upgrade? Any problems?

The other thing that is on the way is an Epson Stylus Color 980. By the way, for any of you looking for new hardware, the TDK veloCD has a $30.00 rebate good until the end of June and the Epson 980 has a $50.00 rebate (not sure when that ends). I bought the TDK at Egghead and the printer at Buy.com.

I do have a question about the USB on the printer. I know that I will need to buy a cable because one doesn't come with the printer. Some of them are regular (usually 6 foot and 10 foot varieties) and some of them are gold plated...for some extra money, of course. Anyone have any suggestions? Do the gold plated ones really give any better service? Let me know what you think. Thanks to one and all.

Old 06-20-2001, 03:43 AM
Hulaboy

Default Re: Setup for TDK veloCD 16x10x40x

So you decided to go with the TDK veloCD?  Cool.  I'd like to know what your experience is with that burner.  The only special thing that I can think of for you to consider when installing the drive is to pay attention if your Creative 52X CD-ROM was master or slave and match the TDK burner with that.  Other than that, it's just like what you said...plug in the power, hook into the IDE cable, perhaps include the audio cable too.  Oh yeah, make sure that DMA is enabled in the properties window once you finally have the burner in place.  I'm curious, what other CD-ROM drive do you have that would make you want to replace the 52X CD-ROM with the burner?  I like the speed that the Creative drive reads at.  Do you have another CD-ROM hooked up too?

In regards to the Nero upgrade to 5.5...I upgraded to 5.5 and it went off without a hitch.  So you shouldn't expect any nasty things with that upgrade.

I have an HP P1100 that uses a USB cable too.  I tried both cables (gold plated and regular) and I didn't notice any difference as far as performance is concerned between the two.  I would suggest for you to just save your money and just get the regular one.  Well, hope I've helped out some.  Let me know how your upgrades go!  
Old 06-20-2001, 01:26 PM
chaplndave

No...I don't have another CD-ROM.  Eventually I will buy a DVD to replace the Creative 52x and install the 52x in the upgrade for my son's computer.  Someone will get the benefit of this great CD-ROM!

I went out and looked at CD labelers today.  Only saw one so far, but will keep looking.  Is there a particular brand that you like?

Oh, by the way, a guy in my office just transferred here from Hawaii.  I told him about Netsmog and how you had been so helpful.  When he heard your screen name he asked if you might be from Hawaii.  I told him I didn't know, but I would ask.

Thanks for all the help.  Chaplndave
Old 06-20-2001, 02:04 PM
Hulaboy

I've only used the CD Stomper Pro CD labeling kit.  I haven't really used anything else aside from that.  So I don't know if I'll be much help as far as recommending other brands.  I just did a search on Google and I saw a whole bunch of other kits that are available.  I don't know how good the other ones are though...sorry.

As far as my username is concerned...hehehe...I decided on that because I dance with a polynesian dance group here in San Diego.  Yup, the whole loin cloth, grass skirts, and the whole bit.  ;D  My halau does Tahitian, Maori, Hula, and other polynesian dance performances.  That's where my username came from.
Old 06-21-2001, 08:59 PM
Rancher

Hey why not just hook the cdrom on as a slave w/ide primary channel hard drive & then your burner as master on ide secondary channel?  works for me every time.  This way you can burn from cdrom to burner @ one time
Old 06-25-2001, 06:16 AM
chaplndave

[quote author=Rancher link=board=hardware&num=993001085&start=0#4 date=06/21/01 at 20:59:50]
Hey why not just hook the cdrom on as a slave w/ide primary channel hard drive & then your burner as master on ide secondary channel?  works for me every time.  This way you can burn from cdrom to burner @ one time
[/quote]

Rancher:  Tell me more.  presently I have the burner as master and the CD ROM as slave on the same ide ribbon cable.  Will I still be able to burn from CD ROM to burner (i.e. record music CDs or data CDs)?
Old 06-25-2001, 10:43 AM
Rancher

We all know there are two ide channels, primary & secondary.  What we all DON'T know is the PIO, or in out speed are diff from primary to secondary, & slave + master are diff also. To answer your ? yes you probably can burn from cdrom to burner on the same secondary channel especially since your burner has "burnproof"!  However, the speed of your burner will be slowed somewhat while the drives "wait" for each other to complete their "talk" to the cpu on the same channel.  Remember only one drive can have control @ one time on a single ide channel & the speed is as fast as the slowest device, in your case the cdrom as slave on secondary channel.........Rancher
Old 06-25-2001, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Keefe Send a message via AIM to Keefe Send a message via MSN to Keefe Send a message via Yahoo to Keefe

Some CD Burning Programs will not even work if you have both cd drives connected to the same IDE channel.  I have both cd drives connected to the secondary IDE channel; when I try to burn a cd it gives me a error and it tells me to connected it differently...i tell it to bite me and then i go use Adaptec Easy CD creator
Old 07-01-2001, 06:25 AM
chaplndave

Here are a couple of questions that have come up dealing with the veloCD and my Creative 52x CD-ROM and my sound card.  The veloCD, being the master, and the Creative 52x, being the slave, all on the secondary IDE seem to be working quite well.  However, the veloCD is set up as the default drive and I have had some problems between the Creative sound program and the MS windows Medial Player.  Now when I put a CD into the veloCD I get nothing out of the speakers.  I can use the veloCD to record a CD track to the hard drive and get Media Player to play it back...wonderful sound out of the speakers.  Anybody have an idea why I can't  get sound while  simply playing a CD (from either the veloCD or the Creative)???
Old 07-01-2001, 10:32 AM
Rancher

Hey Chap, doe you have the sound wire installed correctly? If installed, which drive?  Most often the the slave, not burner, is the cd player of choice.  Also which player, WMP or Creative is associated with "what" sound format extentions? IE: .wma, ra, mp3, etctera.