Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 07-31-2001, 02:42 PM
awesomedell

Default Resetting of Bios Password

New problem to me folks, got a friend's puter sitting here, can't locate any mfg. name on the bd nowhere, I do have a driver disk for it,  but only refers to the mobo by number MB7841, all the read-me files tell me is that all product names are trademarked, (no shit sherlock) the cd  just says personal computer support disc, ver 1.0 and has a big red GAMUT label on one side. All I know for sure is that it has a PII 166 433 mhz CPU.   Here's the situation, the bios is p/w protected, owner has forgotten it and failed to write it down.  The silly thing keeps losing the cd-rom, windows shows it there in dev. mgr. but won't read any cd you put in it.  Tried the obvious, trading out cd-rom, reloading driver, etc, I know it's something simple, but I'm ready to throw it thru a window, & I don't mean 9x or ME or NT, I mean 3rd story!!  My previous experience has been that if you pull the cmos battery & restart the the system it will clear the bios p/w and let you enter into bios to check setting, reconfig, whatever.  Well, this isn't happening.  Any suggestions on how I might get access to the system set-up in bios??  Thanks for any/all help.
Old 07-31-2001, 03:08 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Keefe Send a message via AIM to Keefe Send a message via MSN to Keefe Send a message via Yahoo to Keefe
Default Re: Resetting of Bios Password

Do this:  Unplug the computer from the outlet , open it up and then take out the bios battery.  Let it sit for a couple minutes because there can be energy still letf in the capacitors on the motherboard.  Then put the battery back in and the bios and plug the computer back in.  This should reset the entire BIOS.  If that does not work look on the motherboard manual and it should show a jumper that shorts out the BIOS.
Old 07-31-2001, 04:21 PM
awesomedell

Thanks for the advice admin, no manual available unfortunately, just got a cd, looked at every file on it,  only thing anything says relates to trademarks/copyrights in any of the text files on the cd, I mean I've looked at them all.  I'll give it a try with the bat reinstalled, as you suggested, (I've just left it out) this has worked before in the couple of times I've run into this type of situation in the past.  I figure it's got to be something in the settings that's keeping it from reading cd in the tray, cuz win98 dev mgr finds the device fine, but won't read, even after installing my fav "tester cd-rom" Memorex 40x, runs off win98 set-up disk drivers, & it's never failed me before.  Can't get this thing to read off either ide ch.  And after spending most of the afternoon trying to get into sys bios, I was ready to pitch it, but then thought of this bd.  It just drives nuts when machines that are supposed to run on logic, do illogical things..  Shit I think it's Miller time, are there 2 Mondays this wk??  Anyway thanks very much for the quick advice, sorry about the rant.  
Old 08-01-2001, 12:29 PM
awesomedell

Good Afternoon Admin,

Finally got the bd to reset for me this morn., I pulled the bat & the bios chip off the board 1st thing this morn, let it sit about 5 mins, then replaced both plugged her back in & it reset everything.  Now if I can just get it to read from the cd again it'll be a much better day today.  Thanks for the help.