Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 09-03-2001, 10:54 PM
chaplndave

Default Pioneer DVD 116

Just bought a new Pioneer DVD 116.  I will be taking a Creative 52X out of my computer and giving it to my son for his new box.  I also have a TDK veloCD 16/10/40x so I have the CD-ROM covered pretty well.

My question is this.  At present, my veloCD is the master and the Creative 52x is the slave.  When I take the Creative out and install the Pioneer, which should be the master and which should be the slave.  I have an Abit KT7A-RAID motherboard.  Can I install them on separate connectors or should I run the DVD and the CD-RW on the same cable?  Can anyone give me a few pointers?  Thanks!
Old 09-04-2001, 07:42 AM
GodMonstr

Default Re: Pioneer DVD 116

TDK velo specifically states to make it Master.

I have same MB and dvd will work on the Raid (third or forth) IDE.

Kevin
Old 09-07-2001, 02:33 AM
Hulaboy

Up to more hardware upgrades, eh?!  Nice. I have that same DVD drive.  It's a pretty good one but make sure you have sufficient cooling because that DVD drive tends to run hot.  I would have to agree with GodMonstr on who is the Master and who is the Slave.  That is how I have my current configuration on my computer.  IBM 60 GB HD = Primary Master, Pioneer DVD 116 = Primary Slave, Plextor 16X burner = Secondary Master.

Also, for some reason I tried to enable DMA on both drives when they were on the same IDE chain and only one would want to work with DMA and vice versa.  So, I swapped the Pioneer to go onto the primary slave slot and sure enough...things worked out.  Make sure to enable DMA for both drives.  Besides, if you're doing CD to CD copying you'll get better performance if each CD drive was on its own IDE chain.  This may not apply to you if you're going to use some ATA Controller or RAID option.  

The reason I touched upon this is because from my understanding only one device can request information over a single chain at a time.  Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong here.  So, by having both CD drives on the same chain, each drive would have to wait it's turn to request info over the same chain.

Enough blabbering...hope that helped out some.
Old 09-09-2001, 06:59 AM
chaplndave

Hulaboy...long time no hear from....

I hooked up the DVD yesterday.  Interesting...when I tried to update the firmware I had to  disconnect the TDK and make the Pioneer the master momemtarily.  Once I did that the firmware upgrade went without a hitch.  Then I made it the slave, reconnected the TDK and all is well.  Watched "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" and it was great.

Did you see my other post on the Sony monitor problem?  Still havent' checked it today, but I would appreciate your input.  If you already have...thanks.