Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Go Back   Techwarelabs Community > Tech > Hardware

Old 09-03-2001, 02:13 PM
chaplndave

Default Sony CPD-G400 monitor

Just bought a Sony CPD-G400 19" Multiscan monitor at a local computer show.  I have been setting it up and playing with it and I have noticed a jittering (for lack of a better word) at the four corners.  It is a slight vibrating motion in each of the corners.  Is this normal for a monitor like the Sony G-400?  I have contacted Sony by email, but when they find out I have purchased it used, not sure if they will stand behind their warranty.  Can anyone help with some info???  Thanks.
Old 09-03-2001, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Keefe Send a message via AIM to Keefe Send a message via MSN to Keefe Send a message via Yahoo to Keefe
Default Re: Sony CPD-G400 monitor

I have never heard of anything like this.  Does it jitter all the time or just every once in awhile?  Try setting the refresh rate differently...that might make the problem go away.  I have never owened a Sony monitor so I really do not know any more details.  Another suggestion would be to give their tech support a call and see what they can do.  It might be a faulty monitor.
Old 09-03-2001, 08:23 PM
kfan

I have seen a variation of this problem on a ViewSonic 20" monitor. The top corners had "jittering" in them.  The problem was finally traced to bad wiring in the outlet (voltage was leaking to ground).  You might try a different outlet and see if that helps.
Old 09-03-2001, 10:44 PM
chaplndave

[quote author=admin link=board=hardware&num=999548032&start=0#1 date=09/03/01 at 15:15:56]
I have never heard of anything like this.  Does it jitter all the time or just every once in awhile?

Try setting the refresh rate differently...that might make the problem go away.  

I have never owened a Sony monitor so I really do not know any more details.  Another suggestion would be to give their tech support a call and see what they can do.  It might be a faulty monitor.
[/quote]

It jitters all the time.  I notice it mostly in the corners, but sometimes I notice it around the curser even in the middle of the page.

Already tried the refresh rate.  The monitor suggests a 1280x1024 with 85Hz refresh.  I am running it at that rate, but changed it to 75Hz.  Still the same jitter.

I did write to their tech support, but it is the holiday so I don't expect an answer for a day or two.  Do you know if they might stand by the three year warranty?  I bought the monitor used at a computer show.  I paid $220 and they retail for over $400 so I figure I got a pretty good deal.  Supposedly the guys I bought from have a one year warranty.  Don't know if they will stick by it...or if there will even be another monitor like this available.  They did have tons of monitors at the show.  But if Sony would stand behind it, that would be great, especially if I could get a new monitor out of the deal.  Hey, even if I had to throw a few bucks their way, it would be worth it to get a new monitor.  What do you think?
Old 09-03-2001, 10:47 PM
chaplndave

[quote author=kfan link=board=hardware&num=999548032&start=0#2 date=09/03/01 at 20:23:35]
I have seen a variation of this problem on a ViewSonic 20" monitor. The top corners had "jittering" in them.  The problem was finally traced to bad wiring in the outlet (voltage was leaking to ground).  You might try a different outlet and see if that helps.
[/quote]

I hadn't thought about that one. I'll give it a try tomorrow after work.  If that fixes the problem, that would be almost too easy.  Thanks for the info.  I'll let you know if it works.
Old 09-11-2001, 12:59 AM
Hulaboy

Jittering at the edges huh?  Hhmm...that's not good.  What happens if you hit the degauss button?  Does it still jitter as bad?  What about any devices that you may have close to your monitor?  I know that monitors nowadays have sufficient shielding from other waves out there but I ran into this one problem where the monitor was doing something like you're experiencing too.  It turned out that it was something from the other computer that was distorting the monitor picture.  It beats me though.  My suggestion would be to not waste your time on it and see if you can return it to the guys that you bought it from and exchange it or get your money back.

Oh yeah, one other question.  Did you test the monitor out over at the show and was it doing that jittering thing too over there?
Old 09-12-2001, 08:38 PM
chaplndave

[quote author=Hulaboy link=board=hardware&num=999548032&start=0#5 date=09/11/01 at 00:59:09]
Jittering at the edges huh?  Hhmm...that's not good.  What happens if you hit the degauss button?  Does it still jitter as bad?  What about any devices that you may have close to your monitor?  I know that monitors nowadays have sufficient shielding from other waves out there but I ran into this one problem where the monitor was doing something like you're experiencing too.  It turned out that it was something from the other computer that was distorting the monitor picture.  It beats me though.  My suggestion would be to not waste your time on it and see if you can return it to the guys that you bought it from and exchange it or get your money back.

Oh yeah, one other question.  Did you test the monitor out over at the show and was it doing that jittering thing too over there?
[/quote]

I tried hitting the deguass...no change

The only thing relatively close to the monitor are a couple of Labtec speaker modules and a Zip 250.  I have moved them as far as I can away from the monitor...no change.  My actual comuter box is about 12-18 inches on the left side and my Epson SC 980 printer is about two feet away.

Supposedly the guys that sold me the monitor are in north Jersey...about an hour or so up the road.  They wrote on the bill of sale that it had a one year warranty.  I talked to another guy who owns a local computer shop who said he had bought from them before and that they were good to deal with.  I will try to give them a call and let them know...see if they will exhange it.  Maybe if I go up to their warehouse I can either exchange it for another G400 or maybe even put a few dollars with it and get a Viewsonic P810 or P815.

Thanks for the advice.

What about the stuff in NYC???  Man...what is our world coming to?  I am in the Navy and in standby mode to possibly have to make notifications to next of kin for those who died at the Pentagon.  Not looking forward to that, but I have had to do it before.

Thanks again for all the advice.  It is nice to know that there are people like you who really want to help.  Take care of yourself.

chaplndave
Old 09-12-2001, 08:43 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Keefe Send a message via AIM to Keefe Send a message via MSN to Keefe Send a message via Yahoo to Keefe

Wow...i would hate to have that job.  I would not be able to do that...all the sad people.  Why is the Navy doing that anyway?
Old 09-12-2001, 10:35 PM
Hulaboy

Man, that sucks that your monitor is doing that.  I would just give up on it and get the exchange.  You mentioned the Viewsonic P810.  I have that same monitor and I have to tell you that I LOVE this monitor.  I actually got mine off of Ebay for about $320.  How much are they going to charge you for it?  

Yeah, talk about the stuff happening in New York.  It's totally tragic.  I just hope something is done about it, you know?  Thanks for the kind words man.  I appreciate that.  Always happy to help out!
Old 09-15-2001, 10:17 AM
chaplndave

[quote author=admin link=board=hardware&num=999548032&start=0#7 date=09/12/01 at 20:43:22]
Wow...i would hate to have that job.  I would not be able to do that...all the sad people.  Why is the Navy doing that anyway?

[/quote]

admin:

I am a Navy Chaplain.  Notification of next-of-kin is part of the job we do during times of war and other tragedy.  It is not the best part of my job by far.  Overall, being a Navy Chaplain has been very rewarding and exciting, but it definately has its down sides...like all of this mess in NYC.  Please pray for the families of the victims and for all of the military members and other civilians who may lose their lives in the months ahead.