Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 06-01-2001, 05:06 AM
Hulaboy

Default The fate of SIMMs

Old 06-09-2001, 09:19 PM
the_warlord

Default Re: The fate of SIMMs

they still see duty in an old p200 that ive got rigged up to my stereo as an mp3 server........... its a cool thing to do with an old pc man.
Old 06-10-2001, 03:48 AM
Hulaboy

Heh...that is pretty cool how you've managed to save that hardware.  I'm thinking of converting my old 266 to serve as an MP3 player kit for my car. That'll be an interesting project.    All I have to figure out now is how to minimize the vibrations that the hard drive will no doubt get in the trunk...hhmm.  Anybody have any suggestions?
Old 06-10-2001, 04:17 PM
the_warlord

dats a teriffic idea... do you think the auto vibes will affect the hdd to a degree where it becomes unstable ?
a possible soution might be to gut an old car cd player for the suspension units they use to combat the same problem. then use them to mount your hdd inside your case!!
good luck and let me know how you get on.
Old 06-14-2001, 04:17 AM
Hulaboy

Actually, it isn't going to be that hard to build the kit.  The hard part is affording to buy all the parts for it!  I don't know if you were ever familiar with this magazine called Maximum Linux (no longer under publication)?  They had this huge article on how to build your own mp3 system in your car that was powered by Linux.  If you'd like to see the different ready made systems out there, you can also go to the MP3CAR.com site and check out some of the hardware that's already been made.
Old 09-26-2001, 01:34 AM
Phantom

to the guy that had a keychain made out of an old simm stick. I used to sell them for $5 - $10 a piece. I opened a computer store about three years ago and the building I first rented had housed a computer store before me. The owner had left a bag with over 500 old 30 pin simms. The majority of them were bad and I started making keychains out of them. I also made some coaster sets out of bad motherboards. I really should market some of these ideas..... :
Old 09-26-2001, 01:55 AM
dave

hehe. I still have a 30 pin simm on my keychain. I worked for my highschool and they had several hundred old simms so we made keychains from them - most already had a hole that worked from where they latched in. I also have an old 486 cpu on my keychain with all the pins filed off. I have put a few dimms on there but they just don't work as good - to big so I decided to stick to the simm.
Old 09-29-2001, 03:04 AM
Hulaboy

Hehe...that's pretty good Phantom.  Yeah, you should start marketing those keychains.  I'm sure there's got to be some market out there somewhere!