Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 12-12-2001, 07:34 AM
aoC_PRoZaK

Default the big shim question

hey guys. i´m shure nearly everybody of you has heard about shims yet ( for those who don´t know -> that thin copper, silver, plastic or aluminium thingies you slap between ya cpu and hsf to avoid wrecking of the core and unproper seat of the hsf. my question is: some guys say it helps to cool and transfers heat, some say it insulates and lets the temps rise. i think possibly the copper ones help to cool and the non-conductive ones maybe not, but i don´t know. so i went over to asking you. ;D
Does anybody here use a shim, if yes, what´s it made from, what did it do to ya temp, how much was it, do you like it and what does it taste like ;D
thanx in advance
Old 12-12-2001, 08:00 AM
Simo

Default Re: the big shim question

From what Ive seen in tests and benchmarks and from personal experience shims either dont help with heat transfer/ or the difference isnt noticeable.

I think this is because the shim shouldnt come into contact with the CPU die, and hence forth shouldnt have any contact with the primary point of heat transfer.

hope that helps.

Simo
Old 12-12-2001, 04:44 PM
aoC_PRoZaK

hmm, the thing with the die seems clear to me. the other ting is, why are people getting copper and silver shim and goop it all over with arctic silver when it hasn´t got anything to do with the heat transfer. the "packaging" of the chip itself can get hot too. why not use the shim for heat transfer. ???
Old 12-13-2001, 10:07 AM
aoC_PRoZaK

nobody got nothing to say to that ???
Old 12-13-2001, 10:30 AM
Simo

ARRRGH!!!!

I posted a huge ass post hee about 6 hours ago..where is it..
*sighs*
Ill post it again when im not feeling so lazy..
Old 12-13-2001, 10:41 AM
aoC_PRoZaK

disappearing posts suck  
Old 12-13-2001, 05:42 PM
SinnopS

i have one and dident really notice any diffrence in any way. its an aluminum one. from what ive red, they somethine bring down the temp by 1 degree..woopdie doo  :
Old 12-13-2001, 09:25 PM
aoC_PRoZaK

hmmm, seems they´re just good for saving the cpu. i don´t have a spacer yet and my cpu already slightly cracked, but, it didn´t affect the thems ;D