Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 12-02-2001, 04:53 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Keefe Send a message via AIM to Keefe Send a message via MSN to Keefe Send a message via Yahoo to Keefe
Default Linksys or Netgear?

Hey, I need some opinions on the Linksys 4 port Router vs the Netgear 4 port RP114 Router.

I dont have questions on how to set these up(why I didnt post it in the networking forum), but need a decision on which to get for xmas. I heard: Linksys is not stable, slow, but easy to setup. Netgear was fast, stable, harder to setup.

To me, the netgear sounds like a winner, but I like the Linksys look and how it plugs in the back with the lights in front.

Any ideas? Which do you use and why?
Old 12-02-2001, 10:46 AM
knight1976

Default Re: Linksys or Netgear?

All my friends run Linksys. I have heard no complaints. They ruin theirs at home for file and connection sharing.
Old 12-05-2001, 11:07 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Omega Send a message via AIM to Omega Send a message via MSN to Omega Send a message via Yahoo to Omega

I like Netgear (but Cisco before that, if you can shell out the dough).  First, they look more professional, IMO.  Secondly, I really like the configuration options, and they seem to have fairly good support.  I have an RT314 at home, and an RT311 at work.  I did recently experience some issues forwarding port 80 at my work, though...I'm not sure what the deal is.  For a basic home network, either will get the job done.  If you're comfortable with one or the other, probably stick with it.

Linsys is, of course, cheaper, however, so if you're running low on funds, they're probably the one to choose.
Old 12-07-2001, 04:44 AM
Hulaboy

I personally use the Linksys 4-port router here at home.  I haven't had a problem with it ever since I got it.  Make sure that you do run a firmware upgrade on it if it does not have the latest firmware.  I wouldn't know if it runs a lot slower compared to other routers though.  One thing is for sure though.  When I upgraded the firmware I did notice an increase in throughput.  Setup was just as simple as plugging it in to the cable modem and changing a few settings.

As far as Netgear is concerned, I don't have much experience with them other than what my friends tell me.  For those that do own one, they say that it is a bit tough in trying to set it up.  Port forwarding is one of the weird things that have been acting kind of weird with them.  Whereas it is relatively simple to accomplish this on the Linksys router.  So, I don't know if I'll be much help for you when it comes to the Netgear routers.  I definitely would recommend the Linksys one just because of the ease of the setup and configurability.
Old 12-07-2001, 04:48 AM
Simo

My preferences are as follows
  • Cisco
  • Netgear
  • Linksys
Cisco is the best...but you pay for it.
Not much between Netgear and Linksys, but Id chose netgear just cuz they have always been god to me.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-07-2001, 01:53 PM
SinnopS

my netgear rt314 works quite nicly  
Old 12-15-2001, 09:30 AM
Golden Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to wizbones

I've set up allot of linksys routers for my clients. Usually it's based on pricing.

Cisco is the way to go if money's not an issue, linksys if it is.

How come nobody mentioned D-Link  :P
The Maximum Effective Range of an Excuse is Zero point Zero Meters!
Old 12-15-2001, 09:50 AM
SinnopS

becasue d-link are crap....

and u just did  ;D