Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 01-12-2002, 04:00 PM
awrobinsonii

Default CenDyne CDRW error problems

I just installed a CenDyne CDRW in a Celeron 333 run system. After installation I restarted the system, during post I am getting an error message

"Event Log messages, enter Setup to view ERROR"
"Press <F1> to enter Setup"
"Bus:00, Device:0E, Function:00"

Ok, now for some reason the computer I am working on has a password setup to be inputted right after the post completes before windows will boot.  I try to enter Setup/Bios using F1, after pressing F1 I get the message, Preparing to enter Setup, then the password request appears, I input the password and for some reason it does not go to the Setup/Bios but procedes to boot Windows.  Okay the CDRW works fine, I have no <!> or <?> notices in Device Manager meaning everything is working fine.  But this error message displayed above and the complications of not be able to access the Setup are my problems PLEASE help. The A+ Cert did not prepare me for this type of message, but for errors that show up in Device Manager. I could probably continue to just bypass the error message and just ignore it but I would rather not, can someone tell me how to get into the setup/bios and possibly why that error message appears during post. Thank you.
Old 01-12-2002, 07:53 PM
jinx

Default Re: CenDyne CDRW error problems

Well, I am not clear if the BIOS was/is  ( ever) password protected. If so, then you can remove the battery for a few minutes to clear all passwords or I can probally find the 'trojan' that I have used for that purpose and get it to.  Removing the battery will reset the BIOS to default values.
Old 01-13-2002, 10:55 AM
awrobinsonii

Will removing the battery cause any other problems such as with the harddrive.  Or is the harddrive and everything on it safe.  I don't have another harddrive to make a ghost if something goes wrong but I could probably back up everything on zips or CDRWs.  Thanks for your replies.
Old 01-13-2002, 08:46 PM
jinx

Yes, it could. It would set to the default values of your machine as shipped. Any changes made in the BIOS since then could be affected. If you can get in to the BIOS, print out the current settings ( values ) on everything or atleast write them down first.

Look in to the owners manual and see how it was set when shipped (Default). Then you can readily set it back up. But anytime you work in the Setup- BIOS , you should back up important data.

Don't know what else to tell you, don't know your OS, machine specs etc. From your description of the problem, I am not sure it is a BIOS password protection problem.

Did all this only start when you installed the CD-RW ?  
Old 01-14-2002, 12:49 PM
Golden Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to wizbones

Sounds like the problem started with the installation of the CDRW, if you disconnect it and power back up does it all work correctly? IE the password etc.

On your motherboard you should have a jumper to reset your bios to factory or clear setting. Shouldn't have to remove the battery, but it does do the trick.

If disconnecting the CDRW corrects the trouble then I would investigate how you're connecting the CDRW, is on the primary or secondary controller? Is it the master or the slave? What other device do you have on the ribbon with the CDRW?

Try downloading and installing the latest and greatest IDE controller drivers for your particular board it should resolve the error message you are getting.  
The Maximum Effective Range of an Excuse is Zero point Zero Meters!