Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 12-02-2001, 02:32 AM
Floydian

Default Ultra-Quiet PC

Hey Everyone

I've been doing quite a bit of recording on my computer at home and would like to make it quiet... (by quiet, i mean, you can't hear it).

So far, i've mounted psu fan and chassis fan on grommets (also running chassis fan a 7 volts), mounted hdd's on grommets (cannot hear them anymore), so it's going pretty well, but now i've realised that the noisiest part of my computer is actually the cpu fan and heatsink.

It's a PIII 1000 on the Asus CUSL2-C and currently has the heatsink with clip on fan that came with the cpu. I was thinking of introducing an air gap (check out www.overclockers.com/tips457 ) between the fan and heatsink. This can't be done (easily anyway) on mine at the moment so i'm looking for a replacement. I'm not doing any overclocking and i want the quietest one around.

Money is not an issue

ps: i live in Melbourne so any locations could help

Also, http://www.dansdata.com/coolercomp.htm can help you decide
Old 12-02-2001, 06:57 AM
Simo

Default Re: Ultra-Quiet PC

For those not in the know Im pretty sure he means melbourne Australia.
Old 12-02-2001, 10:35 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Omega Send a message via AIM to Omega Send a message via MSN to Omega Send a message via Yahoo to Omega

I really don't know that much about making suff quiet (my computer is a beast...2 120mm fans, 1 80mm fan, 1 delta 38mm fan (HSF), and PSU fan) but would water cooling be more quiet than what you have now?  Just a thought.
Old 12-07-2001, 03:29 PM
knight1976

Get the Alpha PAL8045 its got a rheostat and thats about as good as it gets!! I wish i had bought the Swifty with the rheostat! But noooooooo i was too cheap to shell out the $10. (I should have) So speaking from experience buy the one with the rheostat/potentiometer (or whatever you want to call it). And you can't go wrong with Alpha, they are a company making high quality performance heatsinks. So to recap BUY THE ALPHA PAL8045 WITH THE RHEOSTAT!!!! If its still too loud go buy a Panaflo 80mm fan (Panaflos are the most quiet fans on the market) to replace the stock one and use the rheostat with it.
Old 12-23-2001, 12:07 AM
pcpowerzone

Two extreme thoughts come to mind:

Go water cooled for low noise and superior cooling

or go Peltier (maybe)

For more info on easy to build water-cooled systems go to http://store.yahoo.com/pcpowerzone
Old 12-30-2001, 07:37 PM
jinx

Old 01-03-2002, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

i am not sure if this is much help, but if you put rubber or paper washers for every place you need a screw and contains something that moves (such as a hard drive), it greatly reduces the noise put out.
also www.frozencpu.com has the best cables for reducing wind resistance and they have thermal glue for the fan to fit the cpu better and more effectively.
hope to be some help
Old 01-05-2002, 05:11 PM
thetechfreak

want to keep your computer quiet so when its late at night your parents dont hear you on naughty websites

my box is dead noisy, 1 day it scared me s---less as it sounded like a UBoat going for a 90* dive lol

though i would like it quiet so i can leave it on all night downloading
Old 01-16-2002, 08:14 PM
Golden Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to wizbones

Not much help from me, just wanted to comment on Jinx's pic, I want a glass like his!! Now that's a drink  :P

Quiet PC's, man the noise is half my troubleshooting technique. Take away the noise I'll have to find a new career field. I already hate the fact you can hardly hear the newer harddrives.
The Maximum Effective Range of an Excuse is Zero point Zero Meters!
Old 03-29-2002, 05:21 PM
Earl

Ok, this may sound drastic, but it will work.  Buy a cheap, small dorm room freezer, drill a 4 inch hole, stick your cpu in there, and run the cables out the side.  Use silicone to seal.

Now when your friends come over to party, put a few beers in there, and freakem out...  

Earl