Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 05-11-2002, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Keefe Send a message via AIM to Keefe Send a message via MSN to Keefe Send a message via Yahoo to Keefe
Default 40x Lite-On Burner

I just got my new 40x Lite-on burner yesterday in the mail.  Man, this burner is sweet!  It outperformed the plextor 40x burner that my friend has.  I am very impressed with this burner, especially since I upgraded from a 2x HP burner.
Old 05-11-2002, 01:50 PM
Chef

Default Re: 40x Lite-On Burner

you mean like it burns at 40x ? sweeet if so
anywho, I've installed lite-on several times and can't say anything but good things about. It's not expensive and burns great with justlink. Good choice for medium budget

lite-on makes not bad monitors too

Good luck with new stuff
Chef
Old 05-11-2002, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Uranium-235 Send a message via AIM to Uranium-235

I got a nice Phillips 24x12x40 cdrw for my birthday. After fixing the problem with Nero crashing my Entire I/O subsystem, it worked perfectly, cept when you try to burn +700M
Old 05-11-2002, 10:32 PM
Aoshi

40x isnt that big of a deal, they all still finalize at 24x i think, either way they finalize the cd's still slow.
Old 05-12-2002, 11:44 PM
Dmitriy

The fastest CD's you can get right now is 32x but they are not based on 24x. I have lite-on 40x
Old 05-14-2002, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Omega Send a message via AIM to Omega Send a message via MSN to Omega Send a message via Yahoo to Omega

The high-speed burners use a technology called Z-CLV, or Zone Contstant Linear Velocity. What this means, is that the speeds will ramp up and increments (or different zones). For example, a 40x burner will burn at 8x for 20 seconds, 16x for another 30 seconds, and 40x for the remainder of the disc (these aren't exact figures). They do have 40x media released, but they can't spin fast enough to burn at 40x in the center of the disc (the RPMs would be so high the disc would shatter).
Old 05-14-2002, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

what if they had multiple heads? then you wouldnt need it to spin faster. ;D
Old 05-14-2002, 09:00 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Keefe Send a message via AIM to Keefe Send a message via MSN to Keefe Send a message via Yahoo to Keefe

I had a multiple laser Kenwood True 48x cd-rom.  It was a big peice of crap and I really did not see any performance increase from it.  I mulihead cd-burner would probally burn a little faster but I think you would end up with lots of coasters from errors.
Old 05-28-2002, 06:01 PM
Bear

I have a LiteOn 32x12x40
works great

a tip
if you use clonecd
search for clonyXXL
Old 05-29-2002, 07:04 PM
rivergod

I've been in love with Plexwriters, but read two good reviews in magazines, and lots of testimonials about Lite-On, all very favorable.  I'm building a computer for a friend this weekend and I think we'll give the Lite-On a try.  First time I saw one, it was priced so cheap, I figured it must be a coaster-machine.  Now I see otherwise.  I'll still keep my sexy plexy, but Lite-On  bears a closer look for my next rig.