Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Go Back   Techwarelabs Community > Tech > Hardware

Old 07-01-2002, 10:38 AM
The_Other_One

Default I knew my computer was working too well...

Well, just as I thought I had all the problems worked out with my computer, another arises.  I won't go into detail with my other problems, I'll just say I've had about 5 different harddrives in here.  The MB is, or has been fine...

Anyway, this started yesterday morning.  I can't remember exactly what happened sence I just woke up, but I had left my computer one all night, and when I got to it, it was locked up(suspend and screensaver are both disabled...)
I reset it, and POST goes fine, but it hangs at a at the windows loading screen with the HD light on.  I cut it off by the button, and back on, and it was fine the rest of the day.

Now, today.  I left it on once again, this time, the mouse was locked up.  I reset it, and it hangs at the CD ROM boot check.  I think it had check the HD by then.  And I should mention, one CD ROM was flashing, and I couldn't eject it.  So I cut it off, back on, and it gets to the windows 98 loading screen, then the HD light says solid and it never finishes loading.  I reset it, and I get to Scan disk, but it locks up at 0%...  I reset it again, and here I am now.  As far as I can tell, it's working fine, but having trying to boot 3 times isn't a good sign...  Would you people first suspect a bad/dieing motherboard, or a bad harddrive?  I should say, the majority of the problems I've had where with faulty maxtor harddrives, so this wouldn't be uncommon...
Old 07-02-2002, 01:38 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess
Default Re: I knew my computer was working too well...

I would say you have either a corrupt file somewhere, which does happen real often during restarts. Trust me on that, my comp restarts daily...Plus it is hard on the HD, so it might be that if it is old enough.

I believe a something that would help to remedy this is to disconnect all drives unneccessary for boot(, and then post the results). What operating system are you using?

Please do keep us posted on this issue.
Old 07-02-2002, 10:13 AM
The_Other_One

Well, I would consider it being a corrupt file, but it locked up at different places...  However, I cut restarted my computer yesterday some, and never had a single problem...

The harddrive is still pretty new.  This is my longest lasting one from maxtor.  I don't know exactly how long I've had it, but I know sence the begining of 2002...

If I have this problem again, I'll pull my computer out and try that(as well as a different harddrive)  My Operating system is 98SE
Old 07-02-2002, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

Just because it is happening in different places, don't rule it out; for me when I don't scan the disk, I sometimes get errors in different places until I run CheckDisk (I am not using a DOS-based OS)...Considering all the information so far, I would still suggest removing all the excess drives and trying to scan your disk.
Old 07-05-2002, 12:26 PM
The_Other_One

Alright...after those 2 days, I havn't left it on, and I've had NO problems.  I did catch one thing though that seems to of fix it.  I took the plastic front off my case to install a new drive, and I saw my front case fan was COMPLETELY covered in dust.  Now my case is 6 degress cooler, and my processor is about 20 degress cooler!  I'm also running with my door on my desk open to get more air to the computer...  Guess I'll have to check this more often...
Old 07-05-2002, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Uranium-235 Send a message via AIM to Uranium-235

LOL that is definetly it. You see, the Athlon 1.4 (highest rated Athlon) Was compaired on a graph I saw a few weeks ago on tomshardware, it was hotter then All AthlonXP's and P4's. So, that is definetly it.
Old 07-06-2002, 11:02 AM
The_Other_One

I knew the AMD processor got hot...  I've even seen a T-Bird 1.33 go up in smoke within about 3 seconds, but we wont get into that(NO, that was NOT my first trial to build a computer!  It was even my processor)
Well, I'm not too concered now that it seems to be working alright.  Also(I need to double check this is enabled) my mb has a feature that will cut the power if the processor fan is not detected.  I know it works because once when I was first hooking it up, I'd cut it on, and just as POST appeard, it would cut off.  Took me a second, then I realized my processor fan was connected to my PS connector  :-[