Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 07-20-2002, 11:13 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Keefe Send a message via AIM to Keefe Send a message via MSN to Keefe Send a message via Yahoo to Keefe
Default KVM Switch

I am looking into buying a KVM swith in lui of having a bunch of monitors on my desk.  Who makes the best ones?  I am looking for one that allows you to switch computers via the keyboard as well as button on the box.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-21-2002, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess
Default Re: KVM Switch

I don't know much about them, but I would just get a video card with dual outs instead. Then you have a really tight system.
Old 07-21-2002, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Keefe Send a message via AIM to Keefe Send a message via MSN to Keefe Send a message via Yahoo to Keefe

A KVM switch is used to hook up several computers to one keyboard, video monitor, and mouse. (hench KVM).

I have been looking at the linksys ones, they make a 4 port one for 105 and an eight port one for 206.  I am thinking about getting the eight port one.
Old 07-21-2002, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

What about making your own, it probably wouldn't be too hard once you amplify the signals.
Old 07-22-2002, 12:18 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Omega Send a message via AIM to Omega Send a message via MSN to Omega Send a message via Yahoo to Omega

Actually, I'd think that'd be fairly difficult to get even a basic (physically switched only) one set up. There's enough problems with signal degredation in the analog video signal and issues with filtering out electrical interference with industrial-made switches, that constructing one would prove quite difficult, even for an experienced electrician, IMO. Additionally, he'd have to special-order several PS/2 and SVGA jacks, and be *extremely* careful in making the proper solder points, and cleanly, I think it'd be a huge time and energy investment, not to mention how much bigger and less functional it'd be.
Old 07-22-2002, 01:19 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, you're right. I guess I just like building things.

I looked around, and I noticed that there are actually quite a few by networking manufacturers, like Linsys and D-Link. Some things you might want to look for are hot-swappability, something that you will probably find handy if you have one or more that will be always-on. Linsys and Belkin are the most popular.
Old 07-24-2002, 02:58 AM
Hulaboy

I ran into that same problem late last year Keefe.  I spent a couple of months researching what I needed to get because it was a pretty penny to get one of those KVM switches.  For what I needed and what options were available, I opted for the one made by Iogear.  The model no. is GCS1714. I just did a pricecheck on www.pricewatch.com and the lowest I found was $129.00.

I narrowed the competition down to two makers. One of them was Belkin and the other was Iogear. Here's what I had my eye on. Belkin has the SOHO series that controls up to 4 computers and offers audio and microphone switching. The computers can be hooked up through PS/2 or USB and are controlled by a PS/2 mouse, PS/2 keyboard and a monitor. I just checked Belkin's website and they're blowing out the 4-port Omnicube WITH cables for $100.00.

On the otherhand, the Iogear is all USB.  This is one of the features that won me over to Iogear.  It's pretty much the same as the one from Belkin but I can do without the audio and microphone switching. Most of my gear have USB connections and the KVM switch also has this feature where you can designate and switch connected USB devices (connected to the switch) to any of the four computers. You can switch to the other computers by hotkeys or the switch on the KVM switch. The computers are controled through one USB keyboard, USB mouse, and monitor.

One drawback that I can tell you about the Iogear switch is that if you rely on certain special functions on your keyboard then that functionality will probably not be supported. I own a Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro and I was kind of disappointed that I couldn't use those 19 buttons at the top (i.e. e-mail, browser control, media control, etc.) of the keyboard. The reason for this is because the mouse and keyboard that you use to control the other four just ends up as a generic USB compliant device. Other than that, it's working pretty good.

Another thing I can tell you is that the Belkin models DO NOT come with any cables while the Iogear models come with professional grade cables from the company. So, that just basically knocked at least $100 off my list. Believe me, good KVM cables are expensive.

Well, I think I'll stop at that. Let me know if you need any other questions answered and I'll help as much as I can. You also know where to find me on ICQ (although I use Trillian).