Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Go Back   Techwarelabs Community > Tech > Hardware

Old 07-30-2002, 01:11 PM
odx

Default pc suicide the sad tale of a man and his pc

it wasnt till now that i learned the value of patience. excited about a new water system i went cheap on a t splitter which happen to be too short..... 48 hours it ran nice thats
till i put it in the pc. Ofcourse just as i go to sleep the hose slipped off the splitter and all hell breaks loose. THankfully the water drained on to the floor and not into the case :-/. Now... were to beguin... the cpu overheats. 1800xp is toast. But it didnt jsut overheat.. it turned into a damn nuclear reactor that shit was so damn hot it made capacitors, mosifs and coils fall off the motheroboard beucase the solder melted. add one 8k3a+motherboard to the casuatly list. The lucite top on the maze 3 melted and its totaly deformed. When you think its over... and i swap mobos to check the rest of my shit to make sure its ok. As i turn the power on a chip on the bottom of my cheetah 15x goes up in flames. After some cursing and screaming i get a diff drive just to find out one maxtor is blinking like a retart and the other is clicking itself to death... Oh and ofcourse one fubared psu that doesnt do jack shit now for god knows what reason. just let that be a lesson to anyone who wants to do a quick job.... just to get shit runing.. test test test and test again now im off to jam a screwdriver thru this mobo and smash the cpu with a hammer , atleast i got the drives rma'ed
Old 07-30-2002, 01:42 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Keefe Send a message via AIM to Keefe Send a message via MSN to Keefe Send a message via Yahoo to Keefe

OMG... I am really sorry to hear about it, but its soo funney. This is the second time that I have heard your story and I still laughed out loud.

Are you going to be able to RMA the CPU and mobo?

good luck

keefe
Old 07-30-2002, 02:04 PM
Ryon

Hey, I wont lie, it sucks to be you but at least you can take your aggressions out. I like your style. If all else fails beat the shit out of everything with a blunt object . I know I will prolly never hear the end of this lame joke but ..... there are other ways to get the amd "hammer" cpu... ya that was gay but i couldent pass that up.
All joking aside, i wish you the best of luck man. I know how it is to make some little careless mistake like that and then it TOTALLY screw things up.
Old 07-30-2002, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Uranium-235 Send a message via AIM to Uranium-235

Old 07-30-2002, 04:40 PM

obviously a pc users worst nightmare...sorry bout that man, but yes, i must say that it is funny, please, no offense. Hopefully everything will turn out ok, and all will be nice, however i dont think i am leaning in the right direction, A COMPUTER JUST WAS DEMOLISHED....but not ur fault by anymeans
Old 07-30-2002, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

Sorry to hear man. I suggest people only use distilled water for water cooling solutions, because it is pure water doesn't conduct electricity. Hopefully we'll learn from your instance and seal all the water tubing.
Old 08-01-2002, 11:02 AM
aoC_PRoZaK

that is the reason why i'm not gonna se the watercooling i got. maybe later for a northbridge or gpu cooling. but i'll take the save route for my cpu and buy a vapochill
Old 08-01-2002, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Keefe Send a message via AIM to Keefe Send a message via MSN to Keefe Send a message via Yahoo to Keefe

I am pretty sure that distilled water still conducts electricitiy. I *think* only 100 % pure water is an insulator, even one molecule of foreign matter will make it no pure. Does anyone agree on this?
Old 08-01-2002, 12:42 PM

Actually just about anything will conduct electricty at some point. It's just a matter of pushing it hard enough to overcome the resistance. On the screen savers they found a liquid made by 3M that is safe in electronice. They supercooled it with dry ice then made a fish tank like case. Didn't even have a heatsink on the Thunderbird CPU. Didn't need one. Overclocked the crap out of it and everything stayed way cool. Only costs about $300 a gallon and it evaporates real fast.
Old 08-02-2002, 01:25 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

Water does not conduct electricity.

The point at which it theoretically would conduct electricity is far beyond the point of electrolysis which means that the water would change into Hydrogen and Oxygen gases and it would no longer be water. Drinking water and most other "types" of water do conduct, but not because of the water, only because of the other stuff. Distilled water is supposed to be completely pure, but even though the manufacturing process isn't perfect, it is clean enough that by all practical means, it will not conduct. So I hope that answers your question, Keefe, that I agree that you need 100% pure water to not conduct electricity, but distilled water won't be enough to harm a computer.

No matter what, when I build my own personal system, I'm going to use water cooling, but I am going to put the radiator in something super-cool like an air conditioning and keep my entire system running at below freezing temperatures.