Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Go Back   Techwarelabs Community > Tech > Networking

Old 07-31-2002, 11:19 PM
bilo86

Default removing hardware firewall in router

How do I disable the hardware firewall that came with my D Link 704P router on Windows 98? I only have two computers hooked up to the router.

**i want to be able to hsot multiplayer games.
Old 08-02-2002, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Keefe Send a message via AIM to Keefe Send a message via MSN to Keefe Send a message via Yahoo to Keefe

Hrm, I dont think that you can disable the firewall with that. The only thing I can think of is adding your computers to the DMZ. That will allow all web traffic to be passed through.
Old 08-03-2002, 04:11 PM
Golden Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to wizbones

Or just open the ports required for the games
The Maximum Effective Range of an Excuse is Zero point Zero Meters!
Old 08-04-2002, 12:58 AM
Smoked1

Hello my good man. How are you today? I have the answer to your problem. The D-link DI-704P has an option for you to set your PC outside of the firewall. Go to the configuration utility and click on advanced at the bottom of the page. Then click on MISC ITEMS. At the top it will give you the option to enter an iP address for the DMZ HOST. Make sure that the IP Address in the text field is the same as the one for the system you wish to use. Click enable, and save the settings. POOF! Your ready for some frag Action. Only do this if specifying the ports won't work. Check the FAQ pages at the games website to see what they are. If they are not there you will find it somewhere. Setting yourself as the DMZ host makes you vulnerable to hackers, especially if you have a home network. When you are all done with your games disable the DMZ host settings for your own saftey. I hope this helps.
Old 11-21-2002, 12:13 AM
Firewall

Default Yea...

Can you just tell me how i can configure my ports to open the required ones? i know which i need, i just dunno where i can get to them.
Old 11-21-2002, 01:05 AM
Smoked2

Don't even try it that way. I tried it and could not get it to work. You have to setup a virtual server. Just set the DMZ. It's the only way.
Old 11-21-2002, 01:17 AM
eviltechie

i game alot on the PC im using now too
so i enabled DMZ host for this comp

its pretty vulnerable
but i have a software firewall so it is semi-ok i guess
Old 11-21-2002, 03:01 AM
xMerCLorDx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoked2
Don't even try it that way. I tried it and could not get it to work. You have to setup a virtual server. Just set the DMZ. It's the only way.
what the hell?

well obviously this guy didn't know what he was doing because it is not the only way...

which games do you want to host?

i seperated all the port numbers sequentially and set them up for each game to run through that port. may be a little more complex this way but i know all my open/fixed ports.

if you give me the names of the games i probably could give u the port listing for it.

or if you're not especially worried about hackers then go for the dmz host, its a quick fix i guess... oh yeh, if u set it to dmz give me your ip j/k
Old 11-21-2002, 02:35 PM
Omega_work

Technically you should be able to just forward the necessary ports (create virtual servers) on the firewall to allow for hosting a server, without creating a big security risk. Unfortunately, some applications/games require UDP packets to be forwarded in addition or instead of TCP packets. I know that in the past, at least Netgear decided that UDP pacets were unimportant, so didn't have an easy way to forward them with virtual servers, that I know of. I can't vouch for Linksys or D-Link on this topic, but that may be an important factor to consider.

If I recall correctly, Quake 3 uses port 27960 on UDP. I don't know about CS, or SoF2, Batlefield, MOHAA2, or other things offhand. If you figure out what ports you need forwarded, or tell us what game you're trying to host and we figure it out, and it's still not working, I'd suggest looking at this issue.
Old 11-21-2002, 05:17 PM
eviltechie

CS is 27015
all half life games uses that b/c its hl's

if the router's access control has groups then the default group is
all hosts except those listed on the other groups

Group 1: 100-199 members

Group 2: 50-99 members

Group 3: 1-9, 20 members

port 25 is send email
port 110 is receive email
port 80 is browse
port 119 is read net news
port 21 is default for FTP

those are basic ones that i suggest opening if you arent being hacked 24/7

this reminds me, 2 years ago, my comp was under constant attack by anonymous ppl
some how my ip was publisized and made a public target...
24/7 hacking
good thing Lockdown 2001 stopped all of them...
except twice...