Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 08-02-2002, 04:48 PM
Ryon

Default Ultra Cooling?

I was sitting on the john today and was thinking (as i usually do on the john) I wonder if its possable to take apart a window unit style AC and use it to cool your machine. I have a very limited knowldge of how an AC works. I know you have a coolant (freeon or somthing similar) which is compressed when its compressed it becomes very cold. Later in the cycle i know that this gas recondenses and starts all over again but thats about it. Any one ever heard of anyone doing this or have more info about the AC than I. Ill prolly never put the guts of an AC in my box but i just wonder more if it can be done.
Old 08-02-2002, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Uranium-235 Send a message via AIM to Uranium-235

http://www.tomshardware.com.tr/cpu/99q3/990813/
Old 08-02-2002, 06:34 PM
Ryon

Just when you think you are really smart and come up with some cool idea! I guess thats what i get for thinking on the john
Old 08-03-2002, 04:25 AM

thats the kryo g1, isnt the g2 even better cooled? the vapochill's use similar stuff too.

its still not exactly an ac so ur idea is still original
Old 09-24-2002, 07:22 AM
Tcbil

Promedia does great cases with a refregeration system
go and have a look at this website:http://www.blargoc.co.uk/reviews/prometeiapt2/
Old 11-24-2002, 01:03 PM
CB-Byte

Okey, to make the long story about AC short, here it is, Ur right, the refrigerant is compressed in the compressor (a pump) when in gas state its very cold. Now air is suck and blown into the evaporator (inside the room chamber), heat exchange happens the gas turns into liquid (hotter than b4, hence sucking the heat out of the air) and then cool it for a while in the condenser (outside the room chamber) and into the compressor again.

:/ Now, as the cycle repeats, air gets colder and colder...Good for the room if used as room airconditioning. But, if used as CPU Cooler, Not good for the CPU, As U can C, Blowing very cold air inside ur case might cause corrosion (If that's what you intend to do with your AC). (Water has a slightly high dewpoint temperature) THE DEW WILL KILL YOU!

There are other ways to cool ur PC using refrigerants.

Don't do anything with your AC and your PC.

TCBIL is cool go to this site http://www.blargoc.co.uk/reviews/prometeiapt2/

Try to focus on the Heat generating parts of the computer...Ideas to make it cool.

CB-Byte

H2O Gear
Pentium 4 1.6A @ 2.24 Ghz Oc'ed
Asus P4B533
Asus V3800
256 DDR PC2100
Asus CDROM
Asus CDR/W
With all the trimmings...