Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 08-05-2002, 11:00 AM
compguru

Default Trident Ressurected?

"Trident claims that they have a DirectX 8.1 GPU that can deliver 80% of the performance of a GeForce4 Ti 4600 for less than $100. Is Trident legit or are we just getting a dose of 3D rendered smoke and mirrors?"

Anyone who has ever had to work with old computers will remember Trident. They were known for manufacturing low cost, low performance chips for generic video cards. Trident hopes that their new "XP4" will be their salvation and give them a decent footprint in the GPU market.

Check out the preview here.
Old 08-06-2002, 01:51 AM
Junior Techie

Interesting. I used a 4MB Trident 3DImage 9850 back when 8MB cards were king on my old P200MMX machine. Worked well under Win9x/2k/XP and even Drake 8.0+ and RedHat 7.1 (the 2 *nix distros I had). Even played some of the later games such as Quake 3 and Star Wars: Rogue Squadron with decent FPS. I still have it...waiting to go into a newly built low-end puter.
Old 08-06-2002, 02:02 AM
Junior Techie

Hmmm. Read the whole article...since Trident wasn't able to disclose names of those who would be producing the cards with Trident's chips I'm thinking they either have none at this moment or haven't made an official decision. Until I see some benchmarks I'm pretty skeptical...looks like we'll have to wait atleast another 3 weeks or so before we see results.
Old 08-06-2002, 04:00 AM

interesting, but bad timing. they aren't taking into account the NV30's. the market their aimiing at is the sub $100 and so they would be competin wit the the geforce 4 mx 440s which are already above 80% of tha ti4600s. so then by their release in october which will likely be around the nv30 release, the mx440s will be even lower priced with much more features. they should have aimed more at performance and since they are lackin in that for the piplines, they shoulda used their technology for that to make around 8 which woulda only added 1/4 more transistors in that seciton, so a small cost for stellar performance. then they can compete when the nv30's are out.
Old 08-06-2002, 02:28 PM
Junior Techie

At the same time, I heard reports that the NV30's won't be released in mass quantities until late Q4...

I think Trident's playing it safe by not jumping back into the market competition with the performance cards...
Old 08-06-2002, 04:18 PM
compguru

nv30 isnt going to be around until the christmas holiday; itll be worth the wait tho

i have my doubts with trident; sounds a lot similar to the kyro to me
Old 08-09-2002, 01:55 AM

i understand that they are playin it safe, but what i am sayin is that by the time they start to move, the MX's which are already better because they have comprable performance, but many more features, will drop to new lows, and then will be way lower than the Trident. compguru makes a point, kyro had the same thing happen with them

:/ :/